Cavaliers Sound Quality

Penguin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those are all great players, but ive never heard any of them try to play past their own limitations.  however, i  have heard drum corps attempt to play beyond their limitations of supported sound

That depends upon how you define limitations. Dizzy, Maynard, Mangione, Miles Davis all have moments that you could define as exceeding their limitations by comarison to Herseth, Marsallis or even Al Vizutti for that matter. But does that diminish their chosen style of playing? Or does that challenge the listener to consider the expression and emotion of the thought or expression as being the most important musical expression, as compared to players who are all about technical precision, clarity and nuance?

I don't know if I could pick the best between Wyton Marsallis who is absolutely incredible technical wizard or Miles Davis who is a pure genius at expressing the raw, edgy emotional qualities that underly the music. Consider brass ensembles for a moment. Would anyone consider the style of brass playing as exemplified by the Chicago Symphony to be either the right way or the wrong way? What about Los Angeles, New York, or Cleveland?

you dont understand what i am saying. wynton marsalis and allen vizutti have different sounds, but neither one of them are bad sounds.

the chicago symphony and the los angeles symphony have different sounds, but they BOTH SOUND GOOD

a drum corps overblowing and not matching sounds BAD and utilizes INCORRECT TECHNIQUES. a drum corps playing with control and good intonation sounds GOOD and utilizes CORRECT TECHNIQUES.

why do you think that so many studio teachers dread sending their students to these "balls to the wall" drum corps? because they come home sounding like feces

btw, i fixed your quotes

Edited by parrotonmyshoulder

why do you think that so many studio teachers dread sending their students to these "balls to the wall" drum corps? because they come home sounding like feces

Well, my studio professor supports my decision to march 100%. Students come home sounding like feces on their own, not because of staff. I've seen the teaching methods of 4 of the top 5 DC the past few years, and there is nothing wrong with them. Ultimately, it comes down to the members and how they interpret the information presented. No one can or will force me to play beyond my breaking point, and no staff that I can think of would try to.

You've got all the classic over generalizations covered don't you?

Let's see. The semester after I marched one of those "balls to the wall" corps I did the Artunian, the Kennan and the Fasch. I'm pretty sure I didn't sound like feces on my Bb, C or Pic.

Do you or did you march any corps?

I can't help but feel that there are too many people here that let "emotion" and "energy" be an excuse for making intonation and balance issues.

Very well put. Letting things slide because of emotion and energy means that the line doesn't have control.

All corps tick, from BD to Pioneer. It's part of the performance. Is it a good thing? No. Should a hornline play beyond their means on purpose? Of course not. But, on Finals night, in the case of say PR, when they let that last note rip, I can't possibly blame any member of the hornline for letting tone quality be d@mnned and giving 110%. To me it shows passion and heart, obviously qualities that are more important to some people and corps than others. I will remember seeing Phantom perform that night for the rest of my life. To me they were better than any corps I've ever seen, because they poured the souls through their bells that night and I don't care it came out a little ratty.

But that's not to say the Cavaliers have no heart. I can feel the passion when they play "Over the Rainbow". I just wish they could put that feeling into a field show.

Edited by Rookie@Spirt

I can't help but feel that there are too many people here that let "emotion" and "energy" be an excuse for making intonation and balance issues.

Very well put. Letting things slide because of emotion and energy means that the line doesn't have control.

All corps tick, from BD to Pioneer. It's part of the performance. Is it a good thing? No. Should a hornline play beyond their means on purpose? Of course not. But, on Finals night, in the case of say PR, when they let that last note rip, I can't possibly blame any member of the hornline for letting tone quality be d@mnned and giving 110%. To me it shows passion and heart, obviously qualities that are more important to some people and corps than others. I will remember seeing Phantom perform that night for the rest of my life. To me they were better than any corps I've ever seen, because they poured the souls through their bells that night and I don't care it came out a little ratty.

But that's not to say the Cavaliers have no heart. I can feel the passion when they play "Over the Rainbow". I just wish they could put that feeling into a field show.

Thats all fine and dandy, but don't complain when Regiment finishes 4th in brass playing that way.