Are We/DCI Missing the Boat?

As Covid 19 ruined 2020 and is making 2021 different, is there an opportunity for the activity to go back to it's roots...or at least to the 1970's?

Now younger fans/members don't know what the summer was like for many corps in the 1970's. Weekends were drum corps and two days a week were rehearsal time. Yes there were ton's of corps and in NY State alone there could be 3 or 4 shows, not including the two or 3 senior shows. A corps could compete in the US Open, American-International Open, NT Open, World Open, Key To The Sea as well as DCI East, DCI Canada, DCI North, DCI Midwest, DCI West. Lets also add Danny Thomas Invitational, Shriner's, Canadian Open, etc. Today, it's only about DCI! DC East and DC Midwest are gone! 

The smaller corps either had to get bigger and better or go away. Now today, how many corps that were active in 2019 will be active in 2021? 2022?

Did DCI leave the dock and keep the smaller corps off the ship? I know they gave them there own DCI Championship at another location but was that fair? It seems the top 12-15 are the only corps that anyone wants to march with and forget the smaller corps. 

Discuss

Excellent article. You forgot to mention the veterans groups - American Legion and VFW.

I totally agree that we need to go back to regional and local competitions.

Try to keep traveling and costs to a minimum.  What if only the regional champions went on to National DCI?

I understand that some corps may have a bad show at regionals and miss out on Nationals.

Didn't you try to start this conversation once?