Is the 35 minimum still a thing?

6 hours ago, dbriggs said:

that's better than someone filling in on brass, just holding it to his mouth and trying to mimic the appropriate field steps. pretty sure I've seen that from a here-to-be-unnamed corps

That... is a scary thing. Kind of like a bad Hanna-Barbera cartoon where the brass players all loop through something that makes no sense. Seen stuff like that on the field. Nothing worse than players making up parts and throwing stuff at the wall hoping it will stick. That's where a good brass staff writes stuff the person can play that supports. Even if it's half notes and whole notes.

At least in a recent Japanese Anime series, all the brass fingerings are correct. Watched carefully, they must be using motion capture technology on actual musicians. The Euphonium players actually use some advanced fingerings here and there. Blew me away.

Well well watching the webcast and 35 minimum rule waived for 2021…

Plus Govies will not be shown tonight. Some corps had technical and/or weather issues so not full slate tonight

1 hour ago, BigW said:

FYI:

1) Rogues Hollow
2) Highland Regiment
3) Govenaires
4) Sunrisers
5) Southern Knights
6) Hurricanes
7) White Sabers
😎 Atlanta CV
9) Caballeros

Govies and S Knights did not perform. Saw weather and technical issues given as reasons but corps not named. Well maybe they were named but I blocked out the “gab fest” at the start of the broadcast best I could.

Everyone Class A except for Cabs, CV and Hurcs. 
Didn’t try to count bodies but everyone appeared to have a balanced corps. Repeat is tomorrow night so will get a second look. I was so bleeping glad I could watch corps  (Covid and Box5 issues reference)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Govies and S Knights did not perform. Saw weather and technical issues given as reasons but corps not named. Well maybe they were named but I blocked out the “gab fest” at the start of the broadcast best I could.

Everyone Class A except for Cabs, CV and Hurcs. 
Didn’t try to count bodies but everyone appeared to have a balanced corps. Repeat is tomorrow night so will get a second look. I was so bleeping glad I could watch corps  (Covid and Box5 issues reference)

Balanced Corps is a good thing. Southern Knights are a curiosity. Last time I was at DCA, they had learned some very hard lessons from the previous season, really upped their game in terms of design and presented quite well. I'm hoping they continue that momentum.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 4:43 AM, BigW said:

If the Driver and 8 year olds perform what they're supposed to well, credit is due. It's usually people that should be better trained and developed that are the real issues, sadly. Or, design has to take into account their inexperience, or maybe that the performers aren't in top shape. As Jim Prime Sr. used to say, "anyone can do a tough chart badly".

here's the thing the complainer always ignores....were these corps drawing fans, especially in the outer regions, even at their smaller size?

given that attendance figures are NEVER given anywhere in DCA, i'd say probably not

On 7/18/2021 at 8:50 AM, dbriggs said:

that's better than someone filling in on brass, just holding it to his mouth and trying to mimic the appropriate field steps. pretty sure I've seen that from a here-to-be-unnamed corps

that has happened with many corps over the years regardless of size.

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that has happened with many corps over the years regardless of size.

I know. One was a great friend to you and my sister, who I was also quite fond of. The thing is... when you have someone holding in a 50 person horn line, that's 2 percent of the horns. you have one in a 20 person, that's 5 percent. With smaller groups, it becomes far more noticeable and diminishes things more. One person means a lot more.