drum corps INTERNATIONAL

sokkerboie

What would be the interest and idea for a corps in the continental US to join forces with a corps in Europe to form ONE ensemble? I know there are several Asian corps who do it, so why not from Europe? Is it possible to compete early season in Europe then finish the season at DCI here in the states? Would there be interest on the part of the European community? I really think there would be here in the states.

Any thoughts?

Biggest problem will be the season schedule. The first contest start here in June anf finals are around mid/ end of september. So the time conflict in the beginning of the season is there and when DCI is over there are schedules in Europe, but no US kids can compete here, because the school starts around Labor Day.

The basic idea is cool. But the realization will be difficult. The next issue is to find enough kids in a country below 21 with good marching and music skills. Beside England there is no age-limit. So most corps are any age.

I don't want to write this idea to death, but it's very hard. If you really want to start such a project, Drum Corps Germany will give you all the support we may give. Also I suggest that you run in open Doors with DCE and DCUK.

BTW,

next year Jubal will tour in the US and also Beatrix in 2005. As far as I am informed.

Hi Ronald,

mismatched the years a little bit. Sorry about it.

Would love to have a project with an European Corps formed to compete in DCI or DCA. But to organize this is extremly difficult AND it will also handicap the existing corps, because they will "loose" their best members and these are needed to field a 45, 50 or 55 member corps.

But still the idea is faszinating. I would love to be on the bus, but I'm already 33 years old. OK, maybe with a good faked ID and a complete body surgery. ^0^

Edited by BariSaege

• 2 weeks later...

Why not go DCA? The Inspires came over from Japan for DCA finals last year. No worries over the age thing, then.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a corps from UK that did this in the 80s. They ended up folding due to the high cost of the tour (only madde it out twice).

There are several reasons why European corps can't cross the pond.

First of all, there are the high fees for crossing the pond, it's almost impossible to fly every year. No member can pay that.

Second is the age limit, DCA is an option. IMO most of the Europeans only know DCI and will be a bit "dissapointed" to march DCA.

Third, I don't know how you guys combine your job and marching. In Europe although, I think only a small part can take vacation for 2 months.

A great idea.

Couple of responses to some of the threads.

DCUK does have an age limit of 25 so it's not open age. It would still cause a problem though.

There's been a couple of corps that have been over, most recently the Southern Knights and West Coast Cadets in the 90's. Neither corps are with us anymore sadly.

I think it would be agreat idea if it could work though

• 2 months later...

Most European corps, especially Holland, Germany are just like seniorcorps. Rehearsal the whole year arround. But also England with a 25 age limit.

It' s so stupid to go to the US and compete in DCI competition. Senior competition is a much better criteria to compete.

Age limit is one point but the way how the corps are practicing is important to know.

Not ONE corps have rehearsal throug the summerholiday, every day, 6 to 10 hours. Only at week-end and at night. Many kids and other adult musicians have a job.

So, I spoke to many corps in Europe not to focuse on DCI level but take an example on what's happening in DCA. Also the enthertainment level is very different with the overall corps. Corps in Europe have a lot of good payed performances and this can only be a succes when the corps is playing more acceptabel music for the normal men in the street.

I don't know is someone understand this kind of statement, (my English is not that good to explain with the right words!)

F. F. J.