I was wondering if anyone would know the logo on this horn case and witch Raiders corps it is???

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

semi-related but nothing beats the memory of stopping at a Cracker Barrel somewhere in MD and watching Cozy Baker lose his mind seeing a near pristine Whaley Royce v/s sop screwed to a wall.  A true Cozy moment that just about got him and the rest of us at the table shown the door.

wish we could save them all. 

Swapped posts with Cozy but never had a chance for a face to face before he passed.

Cracker Barrel(?) in Washington PA had a single valve horn screwed to the wall. Manager was doing register and I asked what the policy was for buying stuff on the walls. He laughed until I told him I was serious…. he was not pleased by the question “uh no… uh company policy”. 

Full disclosure on how I found out the contra was stolen. Sold it to a member of an alumni corps. He asked the story and said about the flea market and “far as we know it’s stolen”. Reply was “glad you said that… it was stolen. Guy next to me in (corps name) played it and I recognize the dent pattern. Just wanted to see what you would say”. Should add he told me that AFTER he bought it. 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari

49 minutes ago, ironlips said:

"...it was stolen."

The black market for stolen piston/rotor bugles has shrunk drastically, methinks.

Yep this was an mid 80s story. Sis played trombone in band but taught herself fingerings (thumbings? 😆) with my p/r Bari while I was at college. Probably took the contra to the garage to play it. Thank goodness we lived on the mountain as only scared the deer.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not that this is something I'm overly concerned with, but I'm wondering how a horn from Westshoremen and/or Westshoremen Alumni corps finds its way to a flea market in Southwest Ohio? I assume said flea market was in that area, based on the original poster's location of Batavia Ohio. As far as I know, I'm the only member of Westshoremen from this area. You never know what you'll find at a flea market.

Cozy Baker!  Yeah... he'd go off the rails over a wall mounted vintage bugle.

Cozy Baker story:

After DCA finals one season ('08) Cozy stayed at my apartment for a while. That long commute is difficult, when we're no longer spring chickens. When I say "a while", I'm taking about weeks, not hours. I didn't have a problem with that. "Make yourself at home". Cozy bought a frozen pizza. I don't know why. I had Dominos on speed dial. 🙂

Am I the only single guy who stores pots and pans in the oven? Now that's something I AM overly concerned with. The pizza box said "preheat the oven", which Cozy did, but not before taking a look IN the oven. All of a sudden, he jumps off the couch and runs into the kitchen! I had a plastic cullender in there. Now I have a hot blob of yellow plastic. 

"Cozy, your cullender is done!"  🙂

Edited by hairbear
  • Haha 1