Issues With DCA Championship Request

I agree about the ushers, they confused the two standing orders. One was that spectators complained loudly that the people who were standing in the lower deck area were too loud and distracting to those that paid good money to see the performances. Two, that they were to BLOCK people from entering and leaving the seating area during a performance. This should be more emphasized next season.

William,

I think this issue can be helped tremendously by not only including a security chief in the planning committee meetings, but also an usher captain -- someone who will be in on the planning of the event and can offer input about why one solution might work better than another... and it should definitely be someone with experience inside the venue -- knowing the fire routes and other safety statutes in effect for the facility.

The usher captain will also be able to translate the needs of DCA to the usher staff and will be on hand the day of the event to organize and can make decisions based on what you (the promoters) expressed as your needs in the planning stages.

Stef

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent suggestion.

I have always associated a show held on a baseball field as being a rinky-dink affair. It looks bad, it sounds bad, and as many have discovered, it can be down-right dangerous. Are the corps supposed to work hard all year entertaining people and making money for people, only to have to play in a second-rate, horrible-looking venue for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP??? I don't think it's right, and I don't think it shows much respect for the corps, just as I think holding I&E outdoors shows a total lack of respect for the individuals who have to play in a parking lot, or on a street. All I saw of most mini-corps was dark heads moving back and forth, because everyone had to stand in a parking lot. Parking lots are for warming-up. I hope DCA can find some better, more professional venues in the future.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02

P.S. Yes, the cops were quite a nuisance--they made me think of DCA being held in Mayberry, with Barney Fife, Gomer, and Floyd patrolling the area!!

Bob,

two things need to happen for a venue to be selected.

1) someone needs to submit a bid that cant lose

2) the directors have to vote for it.

Truly, it's just too bad that Mayberry was the bid that came through.

Bob Blomberg

Bring it all back to Allentown.......new turf with no bases.........new seating in the stadium..........great spot for I&E...........just my thought....

Why can't DCA find a place rather than relying on someone to submit a bid? I know that's how they have operated to date, but unless it is written into the bylaws, certainly that can be changed. Setup a committee to research and actively find a great location. Don't limit yourself to areas where there are groups who can submit bids. Think about what locations would be great for the activity. DCA is well positioned to grow significantly in the next few years with such exciting shows and more new corps. DCA has a great product. Get out there and find the best locations for finals. The performers and the fans deserve it.