What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

13 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think the controversy thread is getting confused for the annual same-old complaint thread… This is just the same stuff you guys say every day! Surely someone’s got a truly sacrilegious take that can unite us all against them? 

FLO is BRINGING IT this year

:peek:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Here we go again. Apparently I'm not a true fan because I love DCI differently and because I'm young🙄 Because a non-DCI fan would totally buy tickets to watch a show, make an account to communicate with others who are into it, and make fan works about it

Might as well take a Mickey Mouse toy from a baby and tell them that they're not a real Disney fan because they weren't around for the best era of Disney😂

It is possible to be a "true fan" of something that is a mere shadow of what made it great during its heyday.  The reason old school drum corps is "boring" is because modern drum corps is hard for the sake of being hard "effect" and is more spectacle than anything.  In the words of W. C. Fields, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with ########."  There is very little in modern drum corps that is brilliant.  It's almost like figureskating where the designers plug and play compulsory elements:  jazz run, flutter, rhythmic stabs of block chords before snapping the horns down into a jazz run, extended Bb chords with the bass coming in on tonic halfway through, bass drops, bends, trombone glisses, odd keyboard sound patch, ethereal keyboard sounds better suited for prayer time at the local non-denominational church, guard has consitpated look but switches to huge smile after tossing a 5......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1