THE 2022 DONNIE VANDOREN / JIM PRIME BRASS FAMILY TREE

These are the 2022 corps that have brass caption heads that are a part of the brass family tree that was started by Jim Prime and Donnie VanDoren at the Garfield Cadets in 1980.

10 out of 16 corps.

Impressive!

(updated)

299392324_10223581695544430_775465207159

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Thanks 2

It's no wonder why I fell so heavily in love with Mandarins this year. I guess it's got a lil bit of that bloo blood.

• Like 1

Brass trees also go back pre-DCI to Donald Angelica, Hy Dreitzer, Truman Crawford, John & Teddy Sasso (Wayne Downey was a Long Island boy), and many others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

Brass trees also go back pre-DCI to Donald Angelica, Hy Dreitzer, Truman Crawford, John & Teddy Sasso (Wayne Downey was a Long Island boy), and many others. 

This is true and perhaps needed to be said, but in no way does it diminish the musical progeny of Jimmer and Donnie. It's good to realize that somebody taught them also, and they both would hasten to remind anyone of that.

It's a very big tree with roots going back at least to the 1920's, and the branch flowering now is described well by the original poster here. May it grow another 100 years.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ironlips said:

This is true and perhaps needed to be said, but in no way does it diminish the musical progeny of Jimmer and Donnie. It's good to realize that somebody taught them also, and they both would hasten to remind anyone of that.

It's a very big tree with roots going back at least to the 1920's, and the branch flowering now is described well by the original poster here. May it grow another 100 years.

Frank,

We are losing people who have history knowledge left and right. I wish you would sit down and write some drum corps history before it all fades away. There is no one else alive that I know of who has the comprehensive knowledge of this activity with the admiration and respect for all the generations involved. I've enjoyed your essays on DCP and your podcasts for Fleetwood over the years and I wish you would contribute your knowledge to an institution like the drum corps museum to help to preserve it all digitally before it goes down the memory hole.