Blue Devils in the Details 2023

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I disagree, its not THAT they win, its HOW they win. Did the Cavies have as much hate in the '00s?

TBH social media didn't exist back then, and it's where the vitriol seems to be. I heard no hate in person while sitting at Indy all 3 nights, or in Houston or San Antonio. The people who should really be "hating" as you put it,  are the members and staff. Yet I've not heard one word of hate in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, resipsaloquitur said:

TBH social media didn't exist back then, and it's where the vitriol seems to be. I heard no hate in person while sitting at Indy all 3 nights, or in Houston or San Antonio. The people who should really be "hating" as you put it,  are the members and staff. Yet I've not heard one word of hate in person.

have you heard of RAMD my friend? lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

You can never compare creating a professional sports roster to DCI recruiting. In professional sports there are elements to promote parity like drafts and salary caps. In DCI the kids can march wherever they want, which is why those who only go to BD to win a ring is that much more annoying. 

Then DCI needs to stop calling it self the Marching Major League. It isn't befitting of the utopia you want it to be. Again, don't blame the corps. Blame the system.

• Like 2

Just now, resipsaloquitur said:

Then DCI needs to stop calling it self the Marching Major League. It isn't befitting of the utopia you want it to be. Again, don't blame the corps. Blame the system.

What straw man are you talking to? I am simply giving voice to the reason why such an excellent corps is so polarizing. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I disagree, its not THAT they win, its HOW they win. Did the Cavies have as much hate in the '00s? Were the Cadets somewhat polarizing because of their success or because of "He who shall not be named"? If I remember correctly, BD was a very popular champion in 94 because it was some time since they last won and they had a killer emotional show. I think the reason why maybe 96 and 99 were off was because of the ties. I think the current BD polarization started very early on in this run (with me personally it was 09) 

I am also a fins fan and I did not hate the Pats because they won, I hated them because they got caught cheating twice, had tons of season changing calls go their way and Bill Bellicheat is the most arrogant person in the world. They were also lucky enough to have the AFC east be so bad for 2 decades. 

I am also a HUGE heat fan and I am VERY happy for Denver. Jokic is probably the best big man I have ever seen and he is a super humble family man that you cannot help but root for. Also seeing a team win for the first time is an awesome thing. 

But lets go back to what you said earlier, "why change if it is working?" You are right. But if the only purpose is to win and kids only go there to win, then every accusation of designing to the sheets is well founded. And every rinse and repeat, and everything that even has the essence of pretentiousness is all that much more annoying. 

When Crown won their first championship, they came out the next year with trampolines. When Bluecoats won the first time, they came out next year with the music of an experimental rock band and the largest stage in drum corps history. They used their championship status to push the activity forward. BD simply rests on their laurels to recruit all of the ring chasing talent. THAT is why they are polarizing. That and that stupid side to side shimmy. 

You made my point for me. When Bluecoats changed up their show after winning, did they win again?  When crown rolled out trampolines did they win again? But BD came out with their schtick and won after bluecoats and crown. Having a formula only works if the kids can sell it. And they do it by shimmying! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

I think the term you are looking for is the straw man fallacy. But seriously, blame the system, not the players.

sigh, I don't blame the players for wanting to win, I blame the system for not rewarding innovation. 

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

You made my point for me. When Bluecoats changed up their show after winning, did they win again?  When crown rolled out trampolines did they win again? But BD came out with their schtick and won after bluecoats and crown. Having a formula only works if the kids can sell it. And they do it by shimmying! 

Then if winning is everything, and only BD can win, why do this at all? 

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

And they do it by shimmying! 

This part made me laugh out loud. I may need to try some of this shimmying to see where it gets me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2