I’m a clarinet player.

I play clarinet and I am a freshman in high school. I am borrowing a Euphonium to practice with. How should I fit it in to my practice schedule

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I play clarinet and I am a freshman in high school. I am borrowing a Euphonium to practice with. How should I fit it in to my practice schedule

a minimum of 30min a day.  concentrate on the basics. make sure you work to become consistent with articulations, being able to use air and give direction to it.  take 30 min and break it down into articulations, 1 scale, slurs, technique (tongue/air/valve coordination), and something melodic.  so you can work on dynamics on the horn. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, C.Holland said:

a minimum of 30min a day.  concentrate on the basics. make sure you work to become consistent with articulations, being able to use air and give direction to it.  take 30 min and break it down into articulations, 1 scale, slurs, technique (tongue/air/valve coordination), and something melodic.  so you can work on dynamics on the horn. 

Ok!

And long tones to start for a warmup. That’ll develope tone and your facial muscles.  12 count notes. Slow and steady. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Hi ya! Fellow clarinetist here lol!! Here is my opinion on all of that...

First, it depends on your schedule. No one here knows exactly what your schedule is like. 

Secondly, don't be afraid to talk to your directors about marching in DCI and don't be afraid to ask for help/pointers. 

Thirdly, you're doing more than I ever did. Unfortunately, I was discouraged to not march. Mostly because of the certain risks that could have messed up my clarinet playing. I don't regret listening to them, but my heart is set on this activity. I really really really really wish I marched in DCI. Work hard to follow your dreams. 

Good luck! I'm cheering for ya!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

First, it depends on your schedule. No one here knows exactly what your schedule is like. 

Secondly, don't be afraid to talk to your directors about marching in DCI and don't be afraid to ask for help/pointers. 

Thirdly, you're doing more than I ever did. Unfortunately, I was discouraged to not march. Mostly because of the certain risks that could have messed up my clarinet playing. I don't regret listening to them, but my heart is set on this activity. I really really really really wish I marched in DCI. Work hard to follow your dreams. 

Thanks!

Just now, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Thanks!

I saw an interview with a guy and he said, I only have until I’m 21 to March dci, but I have my entire life to do oboe.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

You can still March a DCA corps when you are older or right now if you have time