Bluecoats Launches Rhythm IN BLUE as SoundSport Ensemble

On 3/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, C.Holland said:

I've seen DCA for as much as $1200.  (however, see again cost per day) I think the average is somewhere around $750 for a season.  Which just makes this look like a money grab.  Granted Soundsport is a money grab (pay to play, pay to attend), but still, this feels not right. 

Comparing it to DCA is not exactly a good fit because soundsport teams are, generally, MUCH smaller than even a DCA corps. Comparing it to an Independent indoor percussion ensemble (still lots of EQ/prop costs) is probably closer. In that context, the $1,000 is still much less than one would pay for an indoor experience.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:34 AM, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Comparing it to DCA is not exactly a good fit because soundsport teams are, generally, MUCH smaller than even a DCA corps. Comparing it to an Independent indoor percussion ensemble (still lots of EQ/prop costs) is probably closer. In that context, the $1,000 is still much less than one would pay for an indoor experience.

oh get that out of here.

soundsport is supposed to be a cheap way to introduce performers to the activity.  by design it's intended to bring back a little of that 1960s and 1970s spirit of the activity in that

"SoundSport® encourages performance ensembles to be community based and to keep costs low for participants."

5-7 min performances, any instrumentation you want/can find (so you don't need to buy lots of extra gear), and less requirements so that your group can patch something together that's fun, entertaining, and budget friendly. 

and in case you haven't been in awhile... there's some small DCA groups, with longer seasons, more performances, and less cost per day. 

On 3/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, C.Holland said:

soundsport is supposed to be a cheap way to introduce performers to the activity.  by design it's intended to bring back a little of that 1960s and 1970s spirit of the activity in that

And worth noting that (i) there are only seven performances, (ii) three of them are in Canton, and (iii) they don't leave Ohio until traveling to Indy. Not sure why it would cost so much - travel expenses as a group certainly shouldn't be high.

Other than cost, I love the idea. 

Here's guessing it won't feed into Bluecoats - that's what the top 15 corps are for. But hopefully a season in this group could feed Crossmen or a similar group.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:10 AM, kdaddy said:

And worth noting that (i) there are only seven performances, (ii) three of them are in Canton, and (iii) they don't leave Ohio until traveling to Indy. Not sure why it would cost so much - travel expenses as a group certainly shouldn't be high.

Other than cost, I love the idea. 

Here's guessing it won't feed into Bluecoats - that's what the top 15 corps are for. But hopefully a season in this group could feed Crossmen or a similar group.

Madison had a pipeline from the Black Star drumline and MadBrass Soundsport group move up into the corps.