Stanford & Son (DCI West, July 9, 2023)

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Ok BD.  Based on the front end of the show...congratulations...California year.

Based on the current second half.  You're probably gonna lead the pack but you're not untouchable. 

Given what we know about how BD develops shows organically through the season and that they've not even really cleaned the latter parts....they're being replaced...probably fairly soon when they're on the road.

If they're not beaten at Broken Arrow or San Antonio, they'll run the table.  

I think every corps needs work on back half of their show and almost every corps has a placeholder closer. I do think BD will do at least as well as the other top corps in finishing their show. Anything can happen, but I expect second half to end up at least as memorable as front half. 

And respectfully, have you seen them live? Seeing them in person last night completely changed my view. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NakedEye said:

Man, with this first high perspective read on BD, the visual design is just staggeringly good. It flows and reconstitutes so effortlessly, with perfect velocity changes where needed. 

The ballad is stunning, musically as well as visually. Definitely their best guard since maybe...2011? Variety in musical styles is masterful.

And it is such a JOYFUL show. It just pulls you in and makes you smile. Big contrast to several much more somber programs. I’m so curious about what the real ending will be.

Also, Mandarins and Phantom are going to be duking it out with their high-intensity, risk-taking programs. I think Cadets’ safer, tighter show may get trampled in the end.

Joyful - that is the core concept. 

During ballad last night at the stadium, I couldn't breathe. Too much beauty. 

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 5