Stanford & Son (DCI West, July 9, 2023)

Just had a sudden realization that a lot of the best (at least to me, or some of the DCI fans around me) shows have the "weird minimalist abstract with lots of geometric shapes" look. 

- Beat My Heart Skipped

- Tilt

- Babylon

- Kinetic Noise

And now we have Sinnerman and Unharnessed. Interesting.

• Like 1

That show is so hot. 

• Like 3

Ok BD.  Based on the front end of the show...congratulations...California year.

Based on the current second half.  You're probably gonna lead the pack but you're not untouchable. 

Given what we know about how BD develops shows organically through the season and that they've not even really cleaned the latter parts....they're being replaced...probably fairly soon when they're on the road.

If they're not beaten at Broken Arrow or San Antonio, they'll run the table.  

• Like 3

Man, with this first high perspective read on BD, the visual design is just staggeringly good. It flows and reconstitutes so effortlessly, with perfect velocity changes where needed. 

The ballad is stunning, musically as well as visually. Definitely their best guard since maybe...2011? Variety in musical styles is masterful.

And it is such a JOYFUL show. It just pulls you in and makes you smile. Big contrast to several much more somber programs. I’m so curious about what the real ending will be.

Also, Mandarins and Phantom are going to be duking it out with their high-intensity, risk-taking programs. I think Cadets’ safer, tighter show may get trampled in the end.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

All my 7 year old was able to ascertain who the winner was is the Corps with most M1 Garands. 

As a Military and Civilian Firearms Instructor, that made me smile. M1 is one of my favorite rifles of all time. 

Just now, Richard Lesher said:

I don't know if you saw BD's show, but the entire guard did a high rifle toss and my kid was enthralled. Look at all those Garands. 

I was at all the SoCal shows. BDs Guard is unreal this year. Well they are just about every year lol. 

• Like 1