So (very) Cal Classic

Another great drum group with two guard and some horns.   

Percussion participation is just off the charts in California.   I hope they can grow the brass and guard side of this outfit as they keep going. 

I do like that the Cali Open Class have worked out a de facto regional circuit for the early summer with these past three shows basically being their finals.  

Wish it could be made official like the old DCM circuit for formalized recognition that would go with it for them.

• Like 1

Yeah these kids are working with a great show for them to learn this stuff.

This is what I like about open corps at this level, they really do commit to what they're doing as a music and visual arts organization.  The mission is everything.

• Like 1

Upper level Open corps has always been a real place where show design innovation risks are taken and tried out too.  

People who sleep on Open are missing some good moments even if it's not all as sharply in tune and complex in demand.  

Impulse top now.  Who I feared we'd lose with the pandemic but they're still around.  Got some nice publicity from DCI with their Top Gun show.

• Like 1

And yeah I know that franchise had a recent reboot but again...a movie made in the 80s that was probably considered old by their parents!  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not sure of their origins...is this an offshoot of a guard program rather than the usual percussion program route?

[to the googles!]

Looks like they have an indoor percussion outfit in this non profit too. But the guard is for real.