Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

1 minute ago, Big Bird said:

What separates BD from every other corps is the consistency and longevity of the DESIGN team. Bostons design team has been in place since 2016. Bluecoats since 2013. Crown since 17? Blue Devils have had the same design team for decades. They don’t miss. As I type this they probably have over 10 ideas for shows they could do next year alone.

Crown won in 2013, medaled for a few more seasons, and have fallen into 4th for quite a while with the current design team

Boston medaled for the first time last year and might stay consistent as a top 3 drum corps but as we have seen in the past, it isn’t guaranteed

Bluecoats has been the most consistent outside of Blue Devils with their current design team, medaling in 2014, winning in 16, and remaining in the top 3 since then with the exception of 17.

Blue Devils have not had any significant staff changes. The design team has not changed. The consistency of excellence has lasted for decades. They will always have the upper hand until they do not. Instructional staff may change slightly but the people designing the vehicle for their success does not. That is the difference between winning almost every single year versus being a flash in the pan.

Bostons design team was at Crown prior for about a dozen years. Changing corps doesn't eliminate your experience. I believe Dean Westman and Doug Thrower have been at Bluecoats since 2002. 

People are putting too much stock in the staff longevity at BD, because the cumulative experience at the top corps is relatively equal. 

36 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Since nobody is reading my reasoning, I will have to say it again. BD is like the theatre that only does Mamet or Durang. Those show are brilliant pieces of art that take talent and genius to perform, but they are not for the masses. The judges are looking at the art and rewarding it like Academy judges do for high brow movies. But people for the most part dont love the movies for those art films. they dont spend money on those films. 

You also cannot compare BD to the Cavies and Cadet of the 00's BD has won 40% of EVERY championship ever and 60% of the championships in the past 15 years. Its been over 20 years since they finished lower than 2nd. Its is different kind of dominance. 

People have read your reasoning. There are people who don’t agree with your reasoning.

It’s not a requirement that every show has to be for everyone. It’s completely fine that the masses don’t go to see a movie that delivers something other than immediate adrenaline. It’s fine to aspire to something other than mass adulation. There is so much out there for those who like that kind of stuff, just as there is in the drum corps arena. Enjoy what the other corps are doing and let BD be extraordinary as well.

• Like 7

To add to my point it took SCB 5 years from the appointment of JD Shaw and 2 years from the appointment of Michael Gaines to win a title. It took BAC 4 years from the appointment of Keith Potter, Leon May, Geno Ciprani and Colin McNut to go from almost missing finals to being a silver medalist. Experience is experience and the top tier corps are relatively equal in that regard

40 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Since nobody is reading my reasoning, I will have to say it again. BD is like the theatre that only does Mamet or Durang. Those show are brilliant pieces of art that take talent and genius to perform, but they are not for the masses. The judges are looking at the art and rewarding it like Academy judges do for high brow movies. But people for the most part dont love the movies for those art films. they dont spend money on those films. 

You also cannot compare BD to the Cavies and Cadet of the 00's BD has won 40% of EVERY championship ever and 60% of the championships in the past 15 years. Its been over 20 years since they finished lower than 2nd. Its is different kind of dominance. 

Repeating yourself isn’t going to help your cause.  The implication is that you are right and we just don’t get it.  Which couldn’t be further from the truth.  We get your point but many disagree.  

and, boiled down, your point seems to be that the ONLY way for this to be FAIR is to find some way to penalize or handicap BD so all of the other corps have a chance.  I wonder how the MM in BAC, Bloo, and Crown would feel if they knew that their fans think the only way they can win is to kneecap their biggest competition.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

People have read your reasoning. There are people who don’t agree with your reasoning.

It’s not a requirement that every show has to be for everyone. It’s completely fine that the masses don’t go to see a movie that delivers something other than immediate adrenaline. It’s fine to aspire to something other than mass adulation. There is so much out there for those who like that kind of stuff, just as there is in the drum corps arena. Enjoy what the other corps are doing and let BD be extraordinary as well.

But my point is that the show that is not for everyone is the one that is getting the most success. That is my issue and that is why I am comparing BD to obscure playwrights and artsy Oscar winners 

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But my point is that the show that is not for everyone is the one that is getting the most success. That is my issue and that is why I am comparing BD to obscure playwrights and artsy Oscar winners 

Even if that’s your opinion, that’s fine too!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Repeating yourself isn’t going to help your cause.  The implication is that you are right and we just don’t get it.  Which couldn’t be further from the truth.  We get your point but many disagree.  

and, boiled down, your point seems to be that the ONLY way for this to be FAIR is to find some way to penalize or handicap BD so all of the other corps have a chance.  I wonder how the MM in BAC, Bloo, and Crown would feel if they knew that their fans think the only way they can win is to kneecap their biggest competition.

I repeat myself because nobody is engaging with my premise. To the BD apologist, there is no issue with their dominance and anyone who shows resentment or fatigue is just salty.

I am at least trying to give real life examples of why the judging community seems to favor BD and why I disagree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To those who think I am wrong, let BD get upset on finals night and see how that stadium will go crazy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I repeat myself because nobody is engaging with my premise. To the BD apologist, there is no issue with their dominance and anyone who shows resentment or fatigue is just salty.

I am at least trying to give real life examples of why the judging community seems to favor BD and why I disagree.

Sheesh. It's either your way or the highway, right? At least, that is how it seems. I think we all get the fact that you think the judging community favors BD, why you disagree, and so forth and so on. 

Talk about beating a dead horse!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1