Blue Devils -- Too good for the rest of DCI?

24 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

people who think drum corps inxtructors are making large amounts of money are way off base.

At the tech level you are absolutely right. Some do it for just travel expenses and a small per diem. When you get to the caption head level, salaries can go into 5 figures, especially if they are on tour rehearsing the corps. Those who design/arrange from afar probably get paid less then we think

Haven't thought this through completely, so my reasoning may be flawed, but it occurred to me that part of the reason an organization like BD can maintain such a strong dynasty for so long in this activity is that there is little incentive for any of their staff to move to other corps. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems kind of unique to drum corps. In other competitive activities, like football for example, you often see lower level staffers, like assistant coaches, get hired away to other programs and have great success. Take Kirby Smart, for example--assistant coach to Nick Saban at Alabama for 8 years until he is hired away and builds a dominant program at Georgia. Talking about a successful coaches' "coaching tree" is common in most team sports.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really see similar opportunities in DCI for successful corps directors to spread their "coaching tree" to other drum corps. Usually, when there is a staff change at a corps, it is a group of people moving together.

Are there "assistant" positions in corps staffs where people can learn from a strong leader and then go somewhere else and implement or improve on what they've learned? I 100% agree that BDs strength comes from its consistent and stable staff who have been together a long time and aren't going anywhere. But there's really no reason for them to go anywhere else, right? Any move would be lateral at best. And I imagine no one really has the resources to lure anyone away from BD with money. 

I do think it would be beneficial for DCI as a whole if there were opportunities for younger, less experienced staffers to join a top tier corps' staff, learn their system, and then spread that knowledge around to other corps. Not sure that is practical though, given budget restraints.

Edited by jasgre2000