Boston Symphony Tuba Mike Roylance gives a tip of the hat to Drum Corps, Robert W. Smith, Frank Williams

Watching Monster Oil's YOUTUBE BRASS CHAT #12 with Boston Symphony Principal Tubist, Mike Roylance.   Almost fell off my chair when he was asked what were some of his "breakthrough moments" as a developing musician and he references his experience with SUNCOAST SOUND with Robert W. Smith and Frank Williams.  Mike says that the fundamentals he learned in drum corps are the same fundamentals he works with today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

He was also the tuba tech at Magic when I marched there…total class guy!

• Like 1

And, by the way, "hats off" to Frank Williams and the much-missed Robert W. Smith for nuturing Mike's talents.

Many moons ago, I asked the great Dr. Bernard Baggs for his advice on becoming a good music teacher. After all, he had taught Donald Angelica, a Julliard graduate and the finest bugle soloist of his time.

Bernie's answer: "Be on the lookout for Mozart, and when he shows up, know what to do and when to send him on."

Robert and Frank must have consulted with B.B. as well.

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

And, by the way, "hats off" to Frank Williams and the much-missed Robert W. Smith for nuturing Mike's talents.

Many moons ago, I asked the great Dr. Bernard Baggs for his advice on becoming a good music teacher. After all, he had taught Donald Angelica, a Julliard graduate and the finest bugle soloist of his time.

Bernie's answer: "Be on the lookout for Mozart, and when he shows up, know what to do and when to send him on."

Robert and Frank must have consulted with B.B. as well.

Dr Baggs was a great band director in the day, as you noted with teaching Don, who took his spot when Dr Baggs became a principal.

His son Bernie Jr was a very good friend of mine in college. He ended up being in my wedding in 77. I taught his marching bands at 3 HS where he was band director from 80-93.

Bernie Jr participated in my senior recital in college, so I invited Dr and Mrs Baggs to my recital. Just as I was getting ready to go on stage for my first piece, a timpani solo, Bernie casually says to me “you know, my dad was a timpanist in college”. So there I was…a drum corps guy who knew Dr Baggs as one of the great judges of all time…going on stage to play a piece on his primary instrument…very scary. Luckily it went well. Whew!!!

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1