Alternates and contracts

Reading an interesting thread on Reddit.  

Lots (most? all?) top 12 corps try to carry some alternates into spring training to avoid starting from zero when the inevitable spring training holes appear (due to injury or just bailing out for other reasons).  Alternates are contracted,  are full members, and frequently get the opportunity to fill a hole either in the spring or during the season.

But I had not heard of contracting twice the "normal" number of alternates, bringing them into spring training, and then cutting half of them.  That's...crazy.  Effectively locks those talented performers from marching elsewhere that season (other corps have already filled holes and the cut alternates have already paid up their contract(they couldn't afford to march elsewhere even if they found a spot).

• Like 4

I know of a guard member who marched with Boston in 2022 and was contracted for 2023, where they were made to re-audition midway through spring training. They did not made the cut and had to find a new home for 2023. Given the reaction on the thread, I am sure that is not the only time that has happened.

Edited by Brass of the South

11 minutes ago, Brass of the South said:

I know of a guard member who marched with Boston in 2022 and was contracted for 2023, where they were made to re-audition midway through spring training. They did not made the cut and had to find a new home for 2023. Given the reaction on the thread, I am sure that is not the only time that has happened.

That guard member has since returned to Boston, and made the hornline for 2024.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, craiga said:

That guard member has since returned to Boston, and made the hornline for 2024.

I don’t think we are talking about the same person.

Just now, craiga said:

We are. 

There were multiple people this happened to. Considering they aged out in 2023, I find it doubtful that they are in Boston’s hornline this year.

And for the record, the only reason DCI shows color guard openings for Boston at present is that BAC doesn't set their guard until after the WGI season concludes.  The guard audition weekend is in April.

Also, I wonder which is worse....sending an alternate home in early June with a far reduced fee or having them spin in the end zone all summer, never to get into the show all the while charging them full tour fees AND depriving them of marching elsewhere or working at home?

Boston now carries very few alternates on tour, instead calling them up from home should a hole opens.

There is alot of misinformation on the above link, including Boston supposedly charging $8000 tour fees.  They charge $6000, the same as Bluecoats this year and Cadets last year.

And also for the record, they did not bring 10 alternates on tour last summer....not even close.  

• Like 2