D Day in Drum Corps History

The Greatest Generation had already experienced drum corps via the post-WW1 units composed of veterans of that conflict.

When my father and his comrades returned from the second great European conflict, they made sure their daughters, sons and grandchildren could also share in the activity we all cherish.

Not only did they save world democracy, they put a cherry on top for us. I, for one, will continue to remember my debt to them. 

This may be worth a re-read:

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2017/11/inside-the-arc-horns-drums-gratitude/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ironlips said:

The Greatest Generation had already experienced drum corps via the post-WW1 units composed of veterans of that conflict.

When my father and his comrades returned from the second great European conflict, they made sure their daughters, sons and grandchildren could also share in the activity we all cherish.

Not only did they save world democracy, they put a cherry on top for us. I, for one, will continue to remember my debt to them. 

This may be worth a re-read:

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2017/11/inside-the-arc-horns-drums-gratitude/

Dinner and movie tonight was "The Longest Day" on Turner Classics. Great movie, great cast. Our parents truly were "The Greatest Generation". 

• Like 2

My and I'm sure lots of other DCPers' parents not only lived through WWII, but the Great Depression as well. God Bless them all. 

The article was very inspirational and moving, Ironlips. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to all of those that served and who serve.  After WWII, veterans helped the drum corps activity survive and thrive.   Many, many American Legion and VFW posts sponsored drum corps, and they also sponsored what were arguably the two biggest championships (AL Nationals, VFW Nationals) prior to the formation of DCI, and the shows continued well after that time as well, although they eventually fizzled out.  Many top name drum corps would have never hit the field without the support of these posts.

• Like 1