When you wish upon a Star

Just listened to 1985 Star of Indiana, you know the one...The Mickey Show. What a great show. Purely just plain entertaining drum corps. I kinda liked Sar better when they didnt take themselves to seriously.

Discuss.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory of that year about Star was hearing some guys in the Madison Scouts singing a critical version of Star's closing tune, the Mickey Mouse club ending song.

M-i-c (see how we spend money) k - e - y (Why? because we're corporate sponsored) M-o-n-e-y.

I just bought the '85 DVD this year in Orlando, and yeah-- '85 Star. It's not easy to put on a Mickey Mouse show (literally!) with a straight face like that. Last time I saw balls that big, they were rolling after Indiana Jones.

(I know that's what I always say about that show, but it's true. And it's a good line.)

Wow!!

Showin' the love for '85 Star!! :blink:

Thanks guys!

:lol:

If it weren't for Larry Kerchner, Dennis DeLucia and George Zingali, that show never would've been what it was!

Not bad for a bunch of band kids from Indiana, mixed with part of the Bridgemen, part of the Pride of Cincinatti and a dream team of a staff!

There's been lots of speculation as to what that show could've been if we had more practice time (or another week before finals). As a rookie corps, we had a lot of travel time because it was hard to get booked into shows. I can remember at least 3 bus rides that were over 20 hours between shows!!

We almost always went on first as the rookies and consequently blew a lot of judge's scales right out of the box. It was a magical time in my life and something that I am still proud to have been a part of and will never forget.

BTW, believe it or not, we weren't even aware of the whole "best corps money can buy" thing until FINALS!! We were too busy trying to make the big show! You have to give serious props to Bill Cook. As a sponsor, he made sure that all we had to worry about was practice and performance. We didn't have to push-start the busses, bum food from other corps or anything like that. I have seen kids in corps that have had it FAR worse than Star could've ever imagined!

Edited by StarContra4-85

If it weren't for Larry Kerchner, Dennis DeLucia and George Zingali, that show never would've been what it was!

Yeah, it's amazing that rag-tag team of misfits were able to put together a Finalist show.... :P

Actually, I was part of that "best corps money could buy" crowd. That is, until you guys blew me away when I stopped listening to other people and listened for myself.

In all honesty, that show was not my favorite for that year (that goes to Suncoast Sound) but what a great start for you guys. You were entertaining and you gave us a glimpse of what Star would become.

Edited by skajerk

In all honesty, that show was not my favorite for that year (that goes to Suncoast Sound)

Shee-yeah, brother.

'85 had a slew of good ones, which is why I bought it, plus it's historically significant because of Star's first appearance.

Just downloaded it last night, awesome, fun, entertaining music.

It must be seen to be fully appreciated. For the pink alone, if nothing else. I'm just ticked off because during Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? the camera angle is terrible. For some reason, there's a close-up on the wolf's head, when we should get a high-camera shot so we can see the thing moving across the field.

Again... it has to be seen to be fully appreciated.