Marching Tymps - Dumb Question from a Non-Drum Guy

I marched in the 27th Lancers Timp line for a few years in the early 70's, before I defected to the Tom line. I always got a real kick out of the musical approach of one voice being split up for four, and eventually five people to play as one. Today's bass lines have perfected some of the techiques we worked on back then, listening up and down to achieve a "single voice balance", never stepping on your bro by releasing on top of their attack, etc.

We used one leg on the drums in rehearsals so we could lean on them but never used the legs during shows or parades. I think a lot of us who are in our 40's and 50's remember that every time we TRY to bend over and tie our shoes these days.

I occasionally connect to Diceman and listen to some of his 70's recordings of us and our competitors and cringe when I hear how bad our tuning was on some recordings. I can also admit after all these years that I secretly thought Boston's timp section was better than us, every now and then that is. (Are you listening Paul Gowern?) Boston and 27th were probably the best (technical) timp sections in the east in the 70's. I also got a kick out of Anaheim, SCV and Cavaliers.

Reminds me to call the Chiropractor for an appointment.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with ya 2-7. First time I went to the chiropractor he looked at my back and said "you marched tymps huh?". I have to admit though we had a bunch of fun with those instruments. The worst part was getting new heads the day of a big show. As you know it took a little time for those babies to "break in" properly and meantime the tuning was all over the place. Guys who had good ears had it tough enough but those who counted the number of cranks to their next note were screwed. That could be one reason why you hear so many out of tune lines on those old recordings. My second year on tymps we got an instructor who came from a more orchestral orientation and understood the problem so we would get our new heads a day or two before the rest of the drumline.

drummer 27 and pjs53...man you guys are like God's to me!

even though I hated playing timp and was mad that I didn't try out for snare I always feel a brotherhood to other tipms the world over.

Ohh so many shows I have disected and just listened in awwwww.

drummer 27 and pjs53...man you guys are like God's to me!

even though I hated playing timp and was mad that I didn't try out for snare I always feel a brotherhood to other tipms the world over.

Ohh so many shows I have disected and just listened in awwwww.

Pete (pjs53) - you're a god! Heck, that must make me Zeus!! :P

(from the ORIGINAL Cavalier marching tymp - starting in the fall of 1969)

I was so mad when my instructors found out I could tune intervals and put me in the timp line for the 1980 season--I wanted to play bass drum, as I did in my rookie year. Then I listened to 27 and Phantom Regiment from the previous year and thought, "Well, this COULD be cool." I did have a great time--plus, I was the solo timpanist for the concert piece. It's great to tell kids today that I marched a timp--their eyes get big and wide in disbelief!! Then I tell them how I marched a vibraphone the year after!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights-- '79-'83

Kilties-- '01-'02, '04

Chiropractic patient--1980-?

I was always impressed with our tymp line in Kilties back in 70 - loved the sporran in the front -very Scotslike!

And Frank was right -the guy next to the tymp would crank while the tymp player did his roll during Choo-Choo, sometimes using the "big" tymp, other times using the "baby" tymp!

And as a lowly ex-snare, my hats off to all marching tymp folks - though I'll match any former Tymps' Chiropractor bills with mine!

I was so mad when my instructors found out I could tune intervals and put me in the timp line for the 1980 season--I wanted to play bass drum, as I did in my rookie year. Then I listened to 27 and Phantom Regiment from the previous year and thought, "Well, this COULD be cool." I did have a great time--plus, I was the solo timpanist for the concert piece. It's great to tell kids today that I marched a timp--their eyes get big and wide in disbelief!! Then I tell them how I marched a vibraphone the year after!

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights-- '79-'83

Kilties-- '01-'02, '04

Chiropractic patient--1980-?

Ohh wow you marched 83 Knights? That is one of my favorite percussion features of all time~!

one of the tymp players did the roll while another turned the crank....

Marching tymps had cranks on them that basically served the same function as a pedal on a concert tymp

Some corps would put a handeless cymbal on the tymp and do a roll on that while another person turned the crank...interesting effect!

I remember judging in the Garden State Circuit in the mid/late 70's, and some of the timpani lines would crank like crazy....but the pitch never changed....they had disconnected the cranks so that some of the old-timer judges who were not brought up with timps and didn't know any better would think they were really doing something.

:)

Mike

[

Pete (pjs53) - you're a god! Heck, that must make me Zeus!! :P

(from the ORIGINAL Cavalier marching tymp - starting in the fall of 1969)

Uhmm, no, it just makes you old! But seriously shouldn't our buddy Jim Z get credit for being the original Cavalier "tymp" line carrying the "double bubbles"?

For those not in the know Cavaliers had a set up that I think Larry McCormick built in the late 60's. It looked like two shallow tympani bowls that probably had tymp heads on them. They did not have a tuning mechanism as such but I believe were tuned to a major 5th. This contraption was carried and played by one guy the aforementioned Jim Z. I don't remember if they were used for one or two years but pretty sure they were in the 1969 season and clearly heard on the recordings.

I remember judging in the Garden State Circuit in the mid/late 70's, and some of the timpani lines would crank like crazy....but the pitch never changed....they had disconnected the cranks so that some of the old-timer judges who were not brought up with timps and didn't know any better would think they were really doing something.

:)

Mike

Yep, a fair number of judges at that time just didn't have the background to really get into the tympani lines much. You had to be pretty flagrantly out of whack to get their attention. Heck, why stand around tympani guys when you can get all the ticks you want chasing the snares and tenors up and down the 50 yard line! No disrespect meant to snare and tenor players before you glory hounds start jumping on me.

Actually one of the worst things that I hear on those old recordings from tympani lines is phasing (us included). We were frequently stuck right in front of the drum major hearing his count, watching his conducting and nearly anytime you had the horn line facing backfield or way out in BFE we would be out of phase. Hey wait a minute I guess they were the ones out of phase. Anyhow it sounded bad.