Marching Tymps - Dumb Question from a Non-Drum Guy

Ohh wow you marched 83 Knights? That is one of my favorite percussion features of all time~!

Of course, Bob was the vibes god that summer...

But I was the timp line.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was this big kid in our drumline who was let's say "a bit slow on the uptake" that marched tymp. He decided he wasn't going to march the next year. The story is the percussion instructor told him if he came back, they would rig up a way for him to carry 2 tymps. He came back. They never did.

I always liked the opening to Chava (SCV 73) with the bird whistle and the tymps ... pretty

Sandford’s writing was so tasteful. I always loved how SCV used the tympani for musical transitions. Especially coming out of drum breaks.

Kudos to EVERYONE that marched tympani back in the day.

Agreed.

And - kudos to my brothers in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps that marched tympani as recently as Aug. 10, 2007 :)

Old Guys Rule!

Edited by GuyW

I always liked the opening to Chava (SCV 73) with the bird whistle and the tymps ... pretty

Chava? or Slava?

There was this big kid in our drumline who was let's say "a bit slow on the uptake" that marched tymp. He decided he wasn't going to march the next year. The story is the percussion instructor told him if he came back, they would rig up a way for him to carry 2 tymps. He came back. They never did.

Hey, the Racine Scouts actually did this---in 1968, I think---with 2 full size marching tympani, bolted together somehow. The guy carrying them would march (sort of) from the starting line to around the 50, lean the 2 tymps down on 2 legs, mark time through the show, and march to the end line. It got quite a bit of attention at the time (of the "you gotta be kidding me" type) and, needless to say, was a short-lived experiment.

Chava? or Slava?

Little Bird, Little Chavala

I dont understand whats happening today

Everything is all a blur

Gentle and kind and affectionate

The sweet little bird you were

Chavala, Chavala

Little Bird, Little Chavala

You were always such a pretty little thing

Everybodys favourite child

Gentle and kind and affectionate

The sweet little bird you were

Chavala, Chavala

:ph34r: ...One of the most beautiful exits we ever played...Thanks Gail and Fred.

Edited by MsBusDriver

... :laugh: ...One of the most beautiful exits we ever played...Thanks Gail and Fred.

I can hear the timps playing their triplets, the bird whistles (water in a small container with a spout), the snares with their rim shots, the high leg lift marching backward and the soloist.......classic SCV.

Just finished watching, er 'listening' to 1970 and had COMPLETELY forgotten how melodic and beautiful the tymps sounded in our Color Pre "Chester", a total "back field" experience. Fred really out did himself there. Then he opens the first drum solo with the Tymps in a front and center solo. I'm so glad he featured those guys. Considering how they had to haul those monsters around, they deserved the spotlight.