Marching Tymps - Dumb Question from a Non-Drum Guy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sam, I think the answer to that question is 1994 Magic of Orlando during the Opener of their Cirque Du Soliel Show.

Jim Wolf

71-77 N. J. Black Watch

And here's a little trivia for you....when was the last time a top 12 corps used a marching tymp in ANY manner?

Hint....it's more recent than you think...

wasn't it magic in 1994?

Wow...having never seen the entire 94 show...or not having seen it in ages...I don't knwo where the tymp was. Was it used AS a musical instrument??

I was actually going for VK 87 in the perc feature...the girl in the cook pot was actually sitting in an old marching tymp shell! MAY have done it in 88 with the Pee Wee Herman dude also.

Actually I saw some oher corps using an old marching Timpani wihin the last couple of years! hmmm I want to say this last year but I'm not sure.

yes I carried one of those and the worst experience with it was the 1978 black Bart Parade in Concord.

aldoc you can spell it any way you want! (you earned it)!!!

I don't care how it's spelled. I just wish they would bring 'em back once in awhile. Ain't no other sound more beautiful than a backfield timpani/tympani during a ballad.

agreed

I marched tympani (or tympano for you sticklers) in 73 and 74. Regarding the original posters question Frank was pretty much on target. We had a part in "All for the Best" with a glissando on tymp. The player next to that drum turned the crank while that player rolled thus creating a tympani glissando.

I have to agree with the sound of backfield tympani I really liked the sound we got in"Somewhere" 1974. Can't think of others offhand but I always had a great appreciation for the lines produced by Sanford at SCV, Anaheim Kingsmen, and 27th Lancers.

we did the same thing in 78 with the glisando and i was the one who turned the crank.

(legend, granny was the guy playing you remember him). after I busted my hand and had to quit i guess ego's got involved and rick decided to use his solo from 76-77.

Y'know all these years I listened to 27th Lancers 82 I didn't know it was a "line" playing those parts until I got the dvd.

I always thought it was one guy playing it...NO it was 4 timpani gods!!! (since it was ok to do it i assumed everyone was doing it).

I always liked the opening to Chava (SCV 73) with the bird whistle and the tymps ... pretty