baritone range?

PhunkieBehaveYer

hi guys...i'm a trombone/baritone player hoping for a spot with the crossmen this summer. the biggest problem with my playing is probably my high register. so my question is, how high are baritone/euph players usually expected to play, in your expereince. i understand it's probably different from show to show and corps to corps, but i'm just looking for a general idea. thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as far as how high the show book generally goes (at least in my experience, which is not with the Crossmen), for lead bari the parts probably wouldn't go too much above high B-flat (concert pitch, here). For second, third, or euph, probably not above F (concert pitch).

However, in the exercise/technique book, they'll probably expect you to practice and improve to where you can play lip slurs up to high B-flat somewhat decently. Practicing playing relaxed and smooth up there is good for you.

they will probably ask you to do scales and play as high as you can on them.........be sure to do lip slurs frequently so that your range will improve

hi guys...i'm a trombone/baritone player hoping for a spot with the crossmen this summer.  the biggest problem with my playing is probably my high register.  so my question is, how high are baritone/euph players usually expected to play, in your expereince.  i understand it's probably different from show to show and corps to corps, but i'm just looking for a general idea. thanks.

The highest note I played as a lead baritone was a C. Second parts would go up to a A. Thirds, probably no higher than a F. Those are all concert pitches.

Like others have said, work on lip slurs. Also, practice lots of long pedal tones. Extending your lower range automatically improves your upper range.

Good luck!

Michael Oldemeyer

Well unless you have some desperate need to be a lead player, range isn't a the biggest factor. Work on pedal tones to gain control to play higher sure, but if your quality of tone and technique in your comfortable register is better than everyone else, then you'll be sure to make the line.

yes......but be sure its in tune and stable.........but i doubt they will have you play it...maybe once at most

or you could get lucky, and get to hold it during a show - I know X-men played pedals as part of their warm-up this year.

How about how low? Is a pedal Bb good?

Most corps will play pedals as part of their warm-up/warm-down routines, and occasionally in part of the show (my pedals were my favorite notes in the show). Pretty much the same things with every other note-- in tune, steady, good sound, clean articulation.

hi guys...i'm a trombone/baritone player hoping for a spot with the crossmen this summer. the biggest problem with my playing is probably my high register. so my question is, how high are baritone/euph players usually expected to play, in your expereince. i understand it's probably different from show to show and corps to corps, but i'm just looking for a general idea. thanks.

email me a message through this board and we'll talk. there's a big difference between lack of high range and lack of range. I'm not sure what your definition of the baritone high range is, so let's talk.