Another bari/euph question

scadesboi

Hi guys,

Yes, I have one more question.

What size mouthpiece do you guys use? All takers welcome.

I was using a Bach 6 1/2 AL or 5GS, but since I've been working on moving to Bass Trombone, I've been conditioning on getting accustomed to a 3G, and then later I'll go to a Benge 1 1/4.

For tryouts I'm thinking of using the 3G, what do you guys think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baritone: Shilke 51D for 2nd parts or lower, Shilke 50 or Bach 6 1/2 AL for lead parts.

Euphonium: Shilke 51B

All of the baritones (first and second parts) used Shilke 51D's at Bluecoats when I marched in 2000, they used them a few years before, and a few years after. Not sure if they still are, but when I got home from tour I couldn't put that thing away. Worked awesome on bari and trombone when I got back too. Gives your lips a workout, but after you adjust playing with that mouthpiece rocks.

Phantom's Euph line (no bari's) play 51D's by Schilke..........good call....good on bari's, euphs, and trombones....very flexible

Last year everyone at PR had to go out and find a Schilke 51 D, and that's also what I used with my other corps...seems to be a pretty standard one for a lot of corps.

I don't know what part you are planning on playing or if you are playing bari or euph. Go with what fits the horn you're trying out (often different shank sizes between bari and euph and between brands...for example, a Dynasty baritone is small shank, while the Dynasty Euphs are large shank), and also with what you're comfortable on and sound the best for auditions. That's what counts for then-- if they want you to change your mouthpiece, they'll say so and talk to you about it.

Of your mouthpieces, I'd say 5GS for bari and 3G for euph (I use a 4G). Remember, larger mouthpieces can help you with a darker tone but may make you lose endurance in the upper range. Go practice with what you have now so you can sound good, and ask the staff for advice.