Mid 1970's Young Performers

17 in 75 -- and I think 17-18 that was about average that year

Remember Mike McWilliams? He marched in SCV for 8 years, so I think he was 12 or 13 when he started. His whole family marched, actually.

He's still playing!

mike2.jpg

Mike McWilliams

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference of "teaching" now and when we played in the 70's IS that a MAJORITY of the kids now, have, or are familiar with, the instruments they are playing. In the 70's a majority of those kids started from SCRATCH. I do not doubt that the kids today learn, I have seen the practice's. They work just as hard as we did, perhaps a little harder, but again, the majority of them and this goes especialy for the upper corps. have quite a bit of musical experience to begin with or they'd never get past the doors of the rehersal halls, because drum corps. today have somthing few corps had in the 60's and 70's. Audition's. Without a good musical background, see if you can make into any of the top twelve. Good Luck, LOL

When I marched in my first DCI caliber corps, Northstars from Kitchener Ontario,

we too had our share of young kids. I'd say the average age in the corps was about 16-17. However, when you come from a city with four active drum corps all gunning for the same kids you welcome whoever walks in the door. Now there is only one drum corps in Kitchener that takes their entire corps membership from

Kitchener, Dutch Boy. Yes they are rebuilding but at least all the kids are local and that's is great as far as I am concerned. You can do a lot more community functions and be around when your community wants you to play for something.

It doesn't matter what age the kids are it's that quality of the kids, and Dutch Boy

have got the cream of the crop. We had some really young kids in Northstars but

they fit in just like everyone else. ^OO^

Just reading this reminded me that even after being in the drum corps activity for around 7 years --admittedly most of that time marching in a small parade corps and spending the previous season with a field corps, the Lakewood Ambassadors, which was on its last legs-- of how I felt at my first Anaheim Kingsmen drill rehearsal when Pete Emmons made me go over and march with "the rookies." Hah! I was 19 years old and I thought I knew what was going on.

Of course he was entirely correct and I did have to "re-learn" to march more Trooper-style......but I only had to march with the rooks for one day before I picked it up.

As for ages, I agree that in the days of the local corps, spots were filled by some amazingly young people.....13 and 14 year olds......and women in the horn line by the time I started teaching brass in 1969, which, apparently was a radical idea in those days with the exception of such enlightend corps like The Troopers.

And as I have mentioned ad nauseum, my 13 year old "high note kid" in the 1971 Lynwood Diplomats grew up to become probably the best lead trumpet player on the West Coast.....the Big Phat Band's own Wayne Bergeron.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Not that you don't see it today, but back in the '70's, you would see more entire families marching in a corps. For a few years, I had 2 sisters and a brother all marching together.

As far as "feeder" corps, a lot of corps had them. I guess they still do today, they just call them class II and III and DCA. B)

What would happen with the feeder corps I knew was that the open class corps would need one more silk, bari or bass drummer and they would pull the best kid from their feeder corps.

In fact, some kids in the feeder corps, mainly the ones that started very young were better polayers and marchers than the members of the big corps.

i was 12 in 1975 :)

remember, back in those days corps actually did a little bit of teaching..

Amen! Now, you better come armed with a music degree and a line of credit.

Rocketman - Old Phart

ampssuck

Whatever <**>

Some of the best teaching I have ever seen or experienced has happened in god forbid..modern drumcorps.

I doubt any of you have been to a rehersal since the friggin' Carter administration so how would you know..or care for that matter. :sshh:

Marcus; please do not criticize something that you do not understand. I realize that you were probably not born or in diapers during the "old days", and to compare the methods of teaching rudimentals back then to what exisits today may indeed be similar to comparing apples to oranges. However, keep in mind that the instructors of today were probably marching members of our generation and were taught in the manner in which you so lightly dismiss. Teaching methods may have altered slightly through the years, but I don't think that anyone has redesigned the fundimental notes ( quater notes for example) to mean something totally different. Have you ever been to an Alumni practice and experienced their methods? Walk a mile in other person's bucks before you criticize dear. Have an open mind.

Oh baby, you wouldn't believe the pics I have... some dad took of us on the field, but alot of them I have been holding onto for great moments of blackmail and extortion....lol. Got a GREAT one of you.... is that a beer in your hand???.... I'll send it to you.

My evil twin might... oh, wait, I don't have an evil twin ^0^