Mid 1970's Young Performers

We had tryouts to get into the B corps. Remember, you only had to be 12 to join back then. I went to the A corps when I was 13 or 14, and there were plenty of us that age. It was different then. Age-outs had been in 7 or 8 years, rather than th 2 or 3 now. I had 7 years in, and still could have marched three more years. Of course we looked young in the 70"s ...we were young.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
i was 12 in 1975 :)

remember, back in those days corps actually did a little bit of teaching..

Amen! Now, you better come armed with a music degree and a line of credit.

Rocketman - Old Phart

ampssuck

i was 12 in 1975 :)

remember, back in those days corps actually did a little bit of teaching..

Amen! Now, you better come armed with a music degree and a line of credit.

Rocketman - Old Phart

ampssuck

Whatever <**>

Some of the best teaching I have ever seen or experienced has happened in god forbid..modern drumcorps.

I doubt any of you have been to a rehersal since the friggin' Carter administration so how would you know..or care for that matter. :sshh:

Can't speak for the Jr corps world but there was no draft in 1975. Think the last draft was 1972 or 1973 as the number of Vietnam troops started going down in 1972. In fact there was no registering for the draft for people born 1957 (18 in 1975) to 1960.

Jim (who hit 18 in 1975)

The corps I marched with was young when I jioned them in the end of "74 I was the oldest soprano I was 18 everyone else was between 9 and 15 untill another guy my age joined just after that I would say the average age of our corps would have been 14. You also have to remember also back then there where a lot more corps around to spread people around in. Also back then there where not many corps that had good working relationships with school music programs so you didn't always get people who knew how to play a horn or drum and forget about rifles and flags, bands didn't use them. Also piston/rotor bugles where used this also required some extra learning I remember seeing how most of the music had fingerings penciled in under the notes. Even when I went to Garfield for a while you found the same thing most did not read music they learned by hearing and looking at the fingering on the music. I'm sure some corps back then did have some kind of tryout even if only to find out which part to play but many of the corps where in need of members so all where welcome.

According to his profile, Big Daddy is 33 years old. That means he was 1 year old for the first DCI. Thank God for drumcorps he came along and saved it for humanity from all the dinosaurs. How we could function back then with all the sh*tty instructors is now that I think of it, a total miracle!

I don't think he was trying to start something...he was replying to the apparent misconception that you have to have the knowledge of a music major to make drum corps now, and that current drum & bugle corps don't teach you anything. Untrue on both counts.