Mid 1970's Young Performers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had two or three 14 year olds in 73 when we expanded the hornline to 60. There might have been some cows, too. Since our recruiting base consisted of Great Bend, Ellenwood, Hoisington, Elsworth, Bison and a few other small Kansas towns, we never had more to choose from than what we needed. I don't think we ever had auditions.

Can't speak for the Jr corps world but there was no draft in 1975. Think the last draft was 1972 or 1973 as the number of Vietnam troops started going down in 1972. In fact there was no registering for the draft for people born 1957 (18 in 1975) to 1960.

Jim (who hit 18 in 1975)

Same here, Jim.

If I recall, the draft ended sometime around May or June, right near the end of school. Actually I was a little disappointed, but then I went on to college and proceeded to kill off those guilt cells in my brain.

marching in smaller 'hometown' corps, I recall a lot of younger members, usually children of the people who worked hard to keep the little corps going - pretty much like little league or other sports when mom and dad would get involved because their child was interested. Except in this case, they usually stayed on even if their child quit or aged out.

• 2 months later...

I was 13 years old when I first toured with Santa Clara in 1973. I got in a few weeks before the first show, a month or so before first tour. I wasn't the youngest. What an experience it was.

Mike Braga

73 - 75 SCV

76 - 78 Anaheim Kingsmen

2004 TOR SCV