Mid 1970's Young Performers

As I have watched my 1975 Legacy DVD, I have noticed some corps members in the top 12 corps (even in the very top ones) who looked quite young (as in, younger than 12).

Was this a result of the draft? How desperate were corps for musicians? One of the cymbal players for the Oakland Crusaders barely looks 10.

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft may have had something to do with it, but I think mainly, corps were still "local", and most didn't recruit from outside their area. Which meant there were quite a few younger people in the corps. I remember that many of the top corps had an average member age of 17 or 17.5. Now the average age for Division I corps is about 20.

Most definately!

I mean hey I made the BD line in 78 at the age of 15. There were a lot of locals then but it was around that tiem when Members were starting to Migrate to Corps. By the 80's it became much different.

17 in 75 -- and I think 17-18 that was about average that year

I agree with everones responses. Add the fact that some top corps had "feeder" or "B" corps back then that taught the younger kids before the moved up to the "A" corp. The corps that didn't have "B" corps but needed to fill spots would throw in a 12, 13 or 14 year old. Even if it meant them just holding a horn and not playing, marching in the "nerd squad"...... the American Flag squad or, place them in the cymbel section because back then they really didn't do too much except hold the cymbels up to the snare players and a occational "crash".

It is obviously a whole different ballgame now.

...tryouts really didn't exist back when drum corps were mostly locally based... DCI was still a true youth activity back in those early days. 'nough said

We basically only had tryouts for the rifle line, and the snare line. If I remember correctly our average age when I marched was between 16 - 17....can't remember specifically now, but as I said before, in 74 there were flags brought up from the junior corps that were 11, and a rifle in 1980 we brought up was 13. Both very young ages. You'd be hardpressed to tell the difference, especially in 1980....unless there was a very close close up!

in 1987 we had a pair of brothers on either end of our snare line one was 16 and his younger brother on the other end of the line who was 14 could out play him.

...tryouts really didn't exist back when drum corps were mostly locally based... DCI was still a true youth activity back in those early days. 'nough said

Can't speak for everyone but SCV had "try outs" every year as far back as 72 Nov-Jan -- even vets weren't guaranteed a spot -- and while they may have refined technique and style, they definitely didn't teach basics -- you were expected to have previous corps experience and better already know your stuff.