Freelancers

*sniffles* So many amazing memories. I feel very lucky to have stayed in touch with a core group of Freelancers over the years...

Danny Bryan

Dan Hudson

Jerry Stewart

Jenn Kunz (ex-Nunes)

Chris Baker

Paul Marr

Chris Miller (Marr)

Rick Nunes

Don Silva

Parker Silva

John & Kari Zimny

Paul Zimny

Kevin Bell

Mark Branson

David (Spidermonkey) Brothers

Augie Frates (yes, we finally found him)

Sara Frizell

Serena Daland (can't remember her maiden name)

Stephen Leach

Clint Matsen

Terry Marshall

Brent Terry

Ryan Tompkins

Ally Noonan (Tompkins)

Franci Wihl

I usually run into these guys during marching band season and of course we re-tell the best stories. Some are in Renegades with me and Charlie's name gets brought up every now and then.

I seriously have to start scanning in some pictures to post here!

1991 - It was hard being a rook in a vet-majority corps but it was so worth it. Todd & Terry tortured and took care of me at the same time. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone that I still have my guard uni.

1992 - Met and fell in love with Dan Bryan. Now he's a DCI judge and I'm in the Pit at Renegades... go figure. I sewed the opener and 2nd tune's flags. Will never sew flags again after that!

1993 - Chicken suits, Tweety Birds, School Gold Cheerleaders, whatever you wanna call it, they were ugly. Music was fun and so were the X's even though they broke a lot.

1994 - Big huge blank in my mind. Guess I just blocked a lot of it out. I do remember seeing Dan on the JumboTron during our performance in Boston. A few other vague memories but most of it's gone.

I'm at the corps hall once a week volunteering for bingo... if you want me to pass on a message to Don or Parker, let me know. :)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another picture from 1991 of the snare line that I found on a 1992 alumn's site last night:

91freelancerssnares1.jpg

Left of center is Paul Vasquez (center snare) currently playing with River City Regiment, and going to the right: Mike Heustis (Rollick--now a band director in Utah, I think), and Paul Marr (Ghost--now a snare tech with the renegades and formerly of RCR). I can't remeber the rest of the guys' names except for the end snare on the right, Kevin, who used to love to antagonize the Scouts when we saw them. :sshh:

Third from the left is Lance Delgado and 2nd from the right is Chris Lavender. :)

GAWD I remember so much stuff! I remember before daily rehearsals started, a LOT of us would gather at Grogan's house (or was it Karl's?) and play ping pong and Risk ALL night, while I learned to get my taste for beer! lol. I swear I still play both those games with a cut throatness that SCARES the crap out of others!

It's also how I learned the history of the Freelancers, because of COURSE the old videos would be playing all night long. (Along with all the other old corps...Bridgmen, 27th, BD, SCV....the newest we'd see is like 85.)

In 1992, it was the KGB House (Karl, Grogan & Bellanca). Never got into playing Risk with those guys but the Star Trek marathon and the Halloween Bash were great!

• 2 weeks later...
In 1992, it was the KGB House (Karl, Grogan & Bellanca). Never got into playing Risk with those guys but the Star Trek marathon and the Halloween Bash were great!

I wonder who ended-up with the huge War Hammer table? :P

Quick question for you bari's:

How many brands of baritone did we have in '91? I seem to remember that we had the craziest mix in DCI.

I haven't read throught all of these posts yet...just jumpin' in with my fond memories.

I loved hearing the Freelancers every year, but the line that made my senses heighten was 1984. That opening segment of Sunshine was just AWESOME!. The hornline in harmonic unison blasting out a line that ran up and then back down and ended with an in your face impact note before beginning the melody.

I can still hear it! ^OO^

I wonder who ended-up with the huge War Hammer table? :P

Quick question for you bari's:

How many brands of baritone did we have in '91? I seem to remember that we had the craziest mix in DCI.

Lets see...

King, Deg, Ultratone and I believe a very early model Dynasty as well. Also some were chrome, some were nickel and some were silver. And then there were the Euphoniums... OMFG!! Duct tape, solder, superglue, chewing gum, ROPE... they were held together in a mish mash of different ways... As I recall, James Shatto used to only be able to hold his horn in a certain manner or it would just about literally snap in half! Now THAT is frickin HARDCORE!!

Really cool reading everyones posts in here. Definately brought back a lot of good memories.

don't remember who brought it up, but someone asked about Capital Regiment wearing the old uniforms for the 1999 season after their truck caught fire. Well I know that is true. An older student of mine from when I was a drumline instructor out here in SoCal, went to the University of Wisconsin and marched Capital Sound. 1999 was the first time I went to finals after I aged out in 1993. I went to a stand performance in the capital and The Scouts and Capital Sound both did exhibitions. I have pictures and a video of Capital Sound from that exhibition. If I ever become computer literate I will try to post them on here

Bill Garcia

Pit, 1989 - 1993