Freelancers

I agree with Michael "What a cool thread!" The memories just come flooding back ... I may have to haul out that 1978 LP tonight so I can hear the music again (although Sabre Dance is running through my head right now) :P

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Todd, you are really opening the door with the call out to 87!

What a great year. Almost all of us were rookies, looking to the few vets (Pat, Alex, Jeff, etc.) for guidance. Everything was new. My favorite memory from 87, (besides hearing the hornline play Born Again for the first time in the gym at the memorial day camp, and having a cemetery take up the back portion of our rehearsal field at our Nats housing) would have to be our one victory concert. It was some show in the midwest (Pat, you and Dave can check me on this) that McDonalds was sponsoring. We won the show by beating the Bridgemen and the Diplomats. We were so excited that we were going to do a victory gig! After the show, the whole crowd left, except for a few people, and the janitor, who was sweeping the stands. But ######, we did it anyway! Great memories.......great friends.....great times.

Hey Lance, or anyone else who marched in 89. I seem to remember a pretty cool feeling when we were all sitting in the gym at our Allentown housing site and finding out that we had just beaten the Velvet Knights for the first time. Everyone was so excited you would have thought we had just won finals.

I haven't been this excited for drum corps in a long time. Thank you to all that have joined the Yahoo Group and are sharing your stories.

"I'm so happy that I can't stop crying." - Sting

:) *sniff*

I remember when Todd Hudson ate dirt; the Star Trek fest at the KGB house; the 1993 bundle of sticks representing the guard; Charlie sending people to go get a leaf, put their gum on homeplate, etc; Paul Zimny's look of death over his glasses; having my proudest moment winning "most improved" in 1991 and earning my buckle; playing the game; going over the giant bump just over the Benecia bridge on the way to the Concord show every year; the Heinz factory in Tracy; the s**t truck in Madison; Montreal in 1991... could go on forever.

Hey Lance, or anyone else who marched in 89. I seem to remember a pretty cool feeling when we were all sitting in the gym at our Allentown housing site and finding out that we had just beaten the Velvet Knights for the first time. Everyone was so excited you would have thought we had just won finals.

I remember that quite well. Wasn't it a two story housing site? I remember going back for some rest before the night show.

Anyone remember playing Cadilac at wamrups in the park across the street from the stadium that night, and seeing the fireflies light up on the push?

"Charlie sending people to go get a leaf, put their gum on homeplate, etc; Paul Zimny's look of death over his glasses;"

Two memories that are burned into my brain and can never be removed! :)

Here's another good Charlie one. 1989 at our housing in Olathe, Kansas. Charlie painted each individual step of drill in a certain section for a Sop player named Kraig! (Sorry Kraig if you see this, but this memory makes me laugh.)

Man, that was a time. How many people got sick during that finals week? I did, but at the time it was just a cough. After I got home, I went to see John Williams and the Boston Pops at the Hollywood Bowl. I was anxious for this because they were going to be doing the ET music. I got REAL sick and had to leave the concert. Unfortunately, the Bowl has "stacked" parking where you're stuck until everyone in front of you leaves! So, I'm dying (sweats, fever) in the medical center while my Dad is up in the concert. Turns out I got a pretty good case of pneumonia. Just part of the drum corps gig, I guess.