Freelancers

Just do it man! You keep haunting these forums and I'll keep trying to recruit you to march!

Dream always needs baris players. If you need a horn and can't find one, just ask. I'll get one down to you!

Or you could come up to Bako and join Del Sol! If you do, I can almost guarantee you'll have a King K-70 to play.

Edited by ravedodger

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surfing the web last night and found these pics on fellow alumnis' websites.

freelancers_hardCell.jpg

This is from 1991, at the Kingsmen Classic, Costa Mesa by Justin Daniels' parents.

The front sopranos are (from right to left) Todd Hudson (horn sergeant in '93), myself, Justin Daniels, Dutch (a real Dutch guy from Holland with a huge Dutch name--so we just called him Dutch), Ed Willis (soprano section leader and age out in '91), and Greg Cowley (always in a good mood--so un-Freelancers).

If we were 'at ease', what the #### is the battery doing? B)

Edited by ravedodger

Here's another picture from 1991 of the snare line that I found on a 1992 alumn's site last night:

91freelancerssnares1.jpg

Left of center is Paul Vasquez (center snare) currently playing with River City Regiment, and going to the right: Mike Heustis (Rollick--now a band director in Utah, I think), and Paul Marr (Ghost--now a snare tech with the renegades and formerly of RCR). I can't remeber the rest of the guys' names except for the end snare on the right, Kevin, who used to love to antagonize the Scouts when we saw them. :sshh:

Justin sent me this one the other night. I forgot we had this one taken. If you look at the bottom, you'll see all our names. Don't ask me where it was taken--I have no idea, but I'm in it.

res_1991_sopranos_freelancers.jpg

Hey Freelancers!

I've created a forum for our alumni.

Please join and talk about old times, history, and look for old corps members.

http://freelancers.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Edited by ravedodger

• 2 months later...

Man did I love reading all these posts about old freelancer shows and alumni. I marched Contra in '88, '89, and '90. I must admit, I was a bit of a homer for the corps. Like Mike Grogan, I would never even consider marching with anyone else. CJ, thanks for starting this thread. I hope that many other alumni out there will "stumble" across it like I did. I miss those days and if it weren't for that darn "age out" thing, I might still be doing it!

'88 was a great year. Looking back, it seems like the corps had a raw energy that it didn't know what to do with. I agree with other posts about '89 being a more "refined" corps. I attribute our "growing up" to 1 man: Charlie Anderson. I believe he taught us how to behave and carry ourselves like a championship corps. '90? Well, I aged out that year and the age out circle is somethine I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Rough way to end the year, after the "success" of '89, but in the end it's the people. My contra guys, Paul Rich, Brian Crumpacker, etc. I'll never forget those names. Lance Delgado in the snare line, still one of my best friends in the world.

I would love to find out what some of those people are doing these days. Scott, where are you in TN? I'm in Nashville. Lane Lee? George Munoz? Tyson? Mike Seltzer? Richie Hodge? John Zimney?

I got to go to a drum corps show in upstate New York last year. My first one in many, many years. It's amazing how it all comes back. The energy, the adrenaline, I did NOT want the show to end. I'm glad I found this site. I'll check back and look forward to hearing from some of my old comrades.

Edited by toddcontra

• 4 weeks later...
In 1999 Capital Sound's equipment truck caught on fire and the corps had no uniforms to wear for the summer. The Freelancers lend the corps their old corps jackets. It was great to see them back on the field. It also showed the class on the Freelancer organization.

Does anyone have pics of this??? b**bs

Edited by ravedodger