Freelancers

I loved the Bill Chase show, but my best memory was seeing Charlie, (da chicken), Anderson in the parking lot before a show. He had a number of his members in toe and he made a remark, (tongue in cheek), about the the difficulty of the Fiddler show. I looked him straight in the eye and said, " if it was so easy, how come after all your years of marching you never progressed beyond third sop!" His kids started laughing and Charlie turned red as only Charlie could. Great guy to tease!

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Bill Chase show, but my best memory was seeing Charlie, (da chicken), Anderson in the parking lot before a show. He had a number of his members in toe and he made a remark, (tongue in cheek), about the the difficulty of the Fiddler show. I looked him straight in the eye and said, " if it was so easy, how come after all your years of marching you never progressed beyond third sop!" His kids started laughing and Charlie turned red as only Charlie could. Great guy to tease!

Ahhh, good old Charlie. Wonder whatever happened to him? Anybody know?

'79 is the show I remember best.

You guys showed up in Manning Bowl for the first time in years. Took the field and the prelims crowd didn't know who you were because of the jumpsuits. When they annnounced you there was an audible gasp.

Then you went out and put on an energetic and fun show that had the place rockin!!!!!!!

March or Die.

Our french horn section had t-shirts made with this phrase.

Some memories from 85 -

Changing back to our all black pants in the middle of tour instead of the color changing pants. We altered the Sac chant to "Black is back" for our first show with the "new" pants.

Betting Richie that we would beat VK. We won so he had to wear shorts for the next week (he never wore shorts otherwise)

Montreal free day - Beer

Being able to drink in some states if you were 18 and having a free day in that state.

Having the best run through to date after said free day

Having the entire corps throw lighters at Paul after a run-through since he always asked if we had one.

Making friends with several Troopers

Sticking to each other on the bus due to the velcro and hornhooks

Rookie shirt (Cavaliers that year)

Regrets -

Not finishing the 84 season

Not taking more pictures or keeping a journal

I dont think VK beat us again that year from that point forward. It was an Amazing year. I call our semifinals show from 89 "The Magic Show" because that's exactly what it was. Purely magical.

Quater-finals

8.. Velvet Knights..... 88.300

9.. Freelancers......... 87.900

We had a BAD show in semis. That with your great show, the switch happened, we fell to 11th and you guys to 10th. That's were it stayed.

Always one of my favorite corps!

Loved the early 80's uniform-red cadets on black with the white lapel-SHARP!!

I remember being lined up at retreat next to Free. at Key To The Sea in 80 or 81-Everybody looked about 7 feet tall in those uni's!(and I'm 6'4"!!)

With the horn snap to the buckle (and a Grunt to go with it!) it kind of scared some of our younger members!

Us "older guys" loved it-THAT'S Drum Corps!! :blink:

*edited for spelling*

Edited by Bob Brady

I marched 82-84, yeah...it's that intensity we had that made it such a memorable experience and that has stuck with me. AND, I think we had a lot more fun than a lot of other corps (with the exception maybe of Bridgemen).

I am in a DCA Corps now and wish I could get some of that intensity going with these guys; some of them are so scatter-brained. I just remember the ability that we had to go from screwing around to instantly focused and intense. We always had one ear listening for an instructor. I think it was the fear of those 15 minute level-3 marktimes at 1AM in the Roosevelt HS gym that kept us on our toes.

Hey Tony...it's only a matter of age. It's easier to be scatter brained and not as intense when you're older because there's not as much to "prove".

I have fond memories of Freelancers both from a rival's viewpoint and as a "fan". Highlights....

--Going to Boys' State at Sac State in 1983, being bored out of my mind by the 3rd day hanging around with a bunch of political geeks, and wondering off one day (STRICTLY FORBIDDEN) when I heard a hornline way off in the distance...turned out to be Freelancer rehearsal in June--and I watched in AMAZEMENT as they were rehearsing that drum solo with the big maple pole thing...and Carl Allison smiled at me when I looked over at him in typical idol-worship mode.

--Seeing Freelancers in 1985 and not appreciating them because I was programmed to hate them...but afterwards, really digging their opener and closer that year...

--Being BLOWN AWAY by them in 1988 and 1989 as a fan!

--And realizing that in my old age, they played THE best arrangement ever of "What is Hip" in 1984!!!

SAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe my first viewing was 75 with the grey in Marion Ohio, WOW! So pretty much 75-77, then Batman and Chase. WOW!

We wish they were BACK for good!

Rocketman - singing the praises of SAC

ampssuck

I remember after '76, listening to DCI albums with my drum instructor and diggin'on the bongo rolls in "Adventures in Time". My drum instructor goes "we gotta get timbale/bongos!" and for sure in '77 had 'em. Anybody know that guy from '76??

That would be Brian Graber....

Yea. Brian Graber is a court reporter in Stockton. I see him couple times a year. I marched in Freelancers in 77 snareline.Currently doing Renegades snare. I'll post my favorite memory shortly. Peace...............Earl Brown