Cadet & Crossmen 2002 Field Debut

Guest GeorgeD

Guest GeorgeD

Saturday June 15th, 2002

Historic Gettysburg, PA was the beautiful setting for the 5th Annual Gettysburg Brass Festival. This popular three-day event spans Friday to Sunday and is mostly free to the public. It features a variety of brass ensembles from the region. Saturday night the largest and most popular event, the drum & bugle corps performance, was held in Musselman Stadium, Gettysburg College.

The line-up this evening was a refreshing blend of the past (Lancers Alumni Corps), the patriotic (U.S. Marine D & B ) and the future (The Crossmen & The Cadets). (I put these two corps in the "future" category because this evening's performances by both corps represented just a glimpse of the possibilities in store for this coming August... But, more on that in a minute!)

Weather could not have been more perfect, with puffy clouds and a cool breeze, and temperatures hovering in the mid-70's for the early-evening exhibition. A large, enthusiastic (and mostly local) crowd was on hand, numbering approximately 3,000.

The Hanover Lancers Sr. Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps, harkening from nearby Hanover, PA kicked off the evening precisely at 5PM with a rousing 70's style program of old corps standards. Originally formed in the 1920's, the corps was active until 1983... at which point it represented the oldest continuously operating corps in America. In the summer of 1990, a few former members planned a corps reunion, and by October, an alumni corps was once again performing. Tonight, the Lancers entertained the crowd with "Great Race March" by retired Col. Truman Crawford. Another Crawford arrangement, "Armed Forces Medley" featured the large Lancer’s Honor Guard, much to the delight of the locals on hand. The corps asked those in the audience that had served in the military to stand and be recognized during the playing of each service branch anthem. As it turned out, large number of gentlemen (and quite a few ladies also) rose, each group honored with respectful applause as the service’s anthem was presented in rousing fashion. Next up was the percussion feature, "Lame Duck" by percussion instructor Bob Zarfoss, played by the large and talented line featuring no less that SEVEN basses. The Lancers then concluded their field program with two more Crawford arrangements, "Plaza de Toros" and "Hang em High" and then trooped the stands to the haunting "You'll Never Walk Alone" as the audience rose in appreciation. Following the contest, many in the crowd listened to the Lancers play an encore in the parking lot.

Next up was the 2002 debut of the Crossmen of Newark, DE. The Crossmen are featuring new uniforms with silver trim that do a great job of making the corps seem tall and larger. The corps appeared full size, but I counted 60 brass performers, with a few beginning the program on the sideline. The 2002 program, entitled "The Signature Series" (which to me sounds like a drum stick, and not a great name for what will be a popular and successful program this season) kicks off with Pat Metheny's red hot "Heat of the Day". Linda Eder's "Candle in the Window" is the ballad followed by an extended version of "Strawberry Soup" by Don Ellis.

The Crossmen begin their 2002 program dividing the three segments of the corps across the field... with the Brass in a block positioned in the far right corner of the field and the guard lined along the opposite end zone. The battery begins the program positioned on the rear sideline of the field toward the left. As the program got underway, two things became immediately apparent: first, the corps makes better use of the entire field than in the recent past; and second, talent level in the corps is up again this year. A large and talented guard is well incorporated within the program, and battery parts are well written and lay down a good groove. For this early in the season, the corps is well prepared, with the framework of an entertaining, yet challenging program put on the field. The brass line is positively LOUD in spots, but still maintains a nice warm sound with a full bottom end. At this point, the program’s strength lies in the opener, which gradually builds and really drew the crowd into the performance as it introduces the corps section-by-section and layer-by-layer. As the season progresses, toying with the dynamics and tempo of this piece should realize a great “opener”… The ballad is more “Cadet-style” (for lack of a better term) than what we’ve seen in the recent past from the Crossmen. At this point in the program, the guard is featured prominently down front while the tune builds and then is resolved. By the closer, the corps was rapidly losing stamina, especially so in the guard and upper brass. The corps spent the last 30 seconds or so of the program at standstill (similar to the Cadets) looking as though the last 3 or 4 major sets would be added soon.

All in all, the Crossmen have a vehicle that can serve the membership AND the audience well throughout the season, plenty of room to grow! The battery has an entertaining book; although at this point in the season, both the pit and bass line parts seem lost after the strong opener. A smallish cymbal line (3 tonight) also seemed a bit underutilized. Brass parts are well written and well performed, although (of course) actual playing was hampered by drill concerns at this time.

Next up on this great evening of drum corps were the Cadets…who entered the field in their traditional “prayer block” fashion. This years guard is dressed in WWII era street clothes, taking the theatrical approach to their “American Revival” 2002 program (very similar to the 1995 guard costuming). The stated setting of the show was “1940’s coming of age Manhattan”… but the (as yet) bare field does little to give a “setting” to anything. I got an even greater feeling while watching the Cadets than with the Crossmen that the performance tonight represents the “skeleton” of the eventual show. I expect us to see the “New York” setting realized on the field soon, and I saw what looked like prop construction underway near the Cadet equipment trailer.

With the return of famed drill designer and creative visual guru Sylvester, Cadets program has the “multi-layered” feel that perhaps has been a bit missing the past few seasons. For instance, during the show, the corps’ drill formed multiple shapes, such as a flag, a wave design, an even larger flag, etc.. Yet throughout these progressions, he does a great job of properly placing the various ensembles on the field for maximum effectiveness. I get the feeling that he first looks at the music and places basic dots where the low brass, tenor lines, etc.. “should” be musically and visually and then takes the drill from that basic reference point. There wasn’t the feeling of “arbitrary” that sometimes haunts drills focusing just on pretty shapes or cool moves. Your eye flows automatically from one featured section to the next, something he perfected in his great 1990 drill.

The opener, “On The Town” (“New York, New York” theme) begins backfield with the entire corps proper zigzagging in blocks through itself and the guard (sans-equipment) as the music layers forward and builds, eventually resolving into a large block at the first big music hit… with the guard forward and dancing. The rapidly moving piece features some great small ensembles, and not just one BUT three awesome baritone solos and a big finish in a flag shaped block. The nice "stereo" sound of dual parts across the fifty during the later parts of this number was very effective.

The ballad “The Place Where Dreams Come True” is the strongest portion of the program musically so far, showing off the impressive talent of the brass with a huge build and some very good shaping for this early in the season. The battery (amazing but true) has parts during this tune that do a great job of keeping the military feel of the show present while the male guard members change (quite literally, they get undressed and redressed) into army vintage kakis. While the audience tonight found the sight of their “army tidy whitties” a bit distracting, I can see how when done in the proper context, in could be an effective dramatic gesture. Or perhaps they'll just hide behind screens and get chaged, but I hope not. This way really emphasized the transition folks made from "normal life" to warrior. The males end the ballad on rifle striking military poses on the boxes (just moved on the field at this point and tipped into place)

The “show stopper” at this point for sure is “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” which is, in a word, awesome. Yes, drum sets are back, as are large boxes for the guard to dance on. Huge sound, big splash of effective guard work on silk and the dancing on the boxes at the end of the tune and the entire audience jumped out of their seats for an extended ovation. (the snare line ends up in the pit, that’s how “in your face” this number is) One staging weakness here is the wrapping of the Tuba line around the drum sets, personally I found the combination of that much bass and cymbal from the same direction muddled and ineffective.

The closer is an original Cadet tune/medley “New York Memories/America” in which every American ballad you can think of is layered against a Michael Torke-ish sounding groove from the pit and battery. This song features the most rapid drill so far in the program, though I get the feeling more is yet to be added to the opener as well as this tune. Like their sister-corps the Crossmen, Cadets spent the last 30 seconds at standstill. The show on the field lacks a real beginning or ending, and I can spot several segments which lack the “real” drill we’ll see come finals night. The closer features the now-famous rifle feature from the '95 program. (during this number, pick out all the tunes tossed in from all the other Cadets programs over the years (84/87/90/94, etc.. hey, it's my first viewing, probably missing a few))

The bottom line on the Cadets is this: If you liked 1995, you’ll like this. If you were “ehhh” about 1995, you might still like this since this year’s brass section seems far superior to the 1995 version. Like 1995, this show again takes a more theatrical approach, with extensive staging (not there yet, btw) and lots of “emoting” going on. So, if you “hated” 1995, you may in fact not like this either. This program will garner multiple standing “O’s” each night of the week… lets face it, programs, which entertain the masses, ARE good for the activity. And yes, I heard a guy humming it on the way out of the stadium. The program has the meat to carry the corps on another run at a championship. And they will sell a LOT of T-shirts during the process, win or lose.

The evening concluded with the U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps and then the Marine Silent Drill Platoon & finally the Marine Corps Color Guard. Their great program featured such diverse tunes as the theme from the HBO mini-series “Band of Brothers” to Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy”, to everyone’s favorite “Stars and Stripes Forever”… The talented Marine’s played with clean and crisp attacks.

Just when you thought the night was over, one last thrill as the audience was treated to a low (and fast) flyer over of two Marine attack helicopters. To that, all I have to say is: Glad you men are on our side! So, a great night of drum corps! Thanks to the committee of the Gettysburg Brass Festival for making the event possible and so well run.

George,

You are pushing to win your own contest! :D

Great review!!!

I look forward to reading more of your reviews...very balanced and visually inticing.

Thanks!

This is VERY hard for me to say out loud, but I've never liked Cadets, basically on principle. I read this review, and for the second year in a row, begin scrambling around to figure out when and where I can see what appears to be my favorite show of the season. Cadets (and this hurts, so bear with me) are probably going to be my favorite corps this year. There, I said it!!

(Another statement I never thought I would make) If other corps would take the approach of Cadets and Crossmen and put entertaining shows on the field (instead of ART), more people would be in the stands to watch. (Don't chastise me - I enjoy SCV and Cavies, but other top dawgs will remain unnamed......technically great, but NOT entertaining.)

Man, I should keep my mouth shut.

This is VERY hard for me to say out loud, but I've never liked Cadets, basically on principle. I read this review, and for the second year in a row, begin scrambling around to figure out when and where I can see what appears to be my favorite show of the season. Cadets (and this hurts, so bear with me) are probably going to be my favorite corps this year. There, I said it!!

(Another statement I never thought I would make) If other corps would take the approach of Cadets and Crossmen and put entertaining shows on the field (instead of ART), more people would be in the stands to watch. (Don't chastise me - I enjoy SCV and Cavies, but other top dawgs will remain unnamed......technically great, but NOT entertaining.)

:lol:

It's Ok to like the Cadets.

we are good people -- really :-)

Have a great summer.

Hop

Posted on Jun 16 2002, 10:19 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Directorofbands @ Jun 16 2002, 02:58 PM)

Have a great summer.

Hop

Same to you. This may be one of the signs of the Apocalypse, but keep doing what you guys are doing.......entertaining. Accessible music and killler guard and visual packages. Cadets may pull off a threepeat (for me personally).....you guys can tie with 87-89 SCV with 2000-2002 with 3 consecutive entertaining shows. It could happen.

:lol:

Have a great summer.

Hop

Good people ?? , no Great people !! And very fun to talk to.

Can't wait to see the show !

Geoffrey

George, thanks for that Spectacular rundown of the show!!!!

Hop, feel free to start posting and stopping by more often!!! Glad your checking out DCP!!!