I miss drum & bell.

guess you're in my neighborhood

here's two more ... the Medieval Barons (from Milpitas) and the Rebel Cadets (San Jose??)

heh....I remember those 2.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess you're in my neighborhood

here's two more ... the Medieval Barons (from Milpitas) and the Rebel Cadets (San Jose??)

heh....I remember those 2.

Yup, The Rebels (the Guys) were from S.J. along with the Liberty Bells (the Gals). I barely remember, but I think it was a Husband and Wife team with the last name of Cochran who ran both Corps.

Tidbits: Robby Carson and Mike LaPorta both marched in the Rebels. I think Robby won his first State individual snare title as a Rebel. Mike also won awards. I think he played the bells then.

I joined the Liberty Bells in July '69 as a "learning" tenor (I think they just needed a body) and "almost" marched in my first performance, a parade that was canceled. My sister at the time was in Vanguard. That August, the family followed the Corps back to Pennsylvania for the VFW Nationals. After seeing all those great Corps, I knew I would never go back to a Drum and "Bell" Corps. Joined SCV in October '69 and it was the best decision I ever made.

yep I think One of those twirly Corps went on to win a whole bunch of titles.

what was it...

hmmmmmm yea it was ummmm last i checked 11 DCI titles!

Ok Remember the Young Americans?

Or How about the Blue Devils Cadet Corps? (yep that was me the very first snare drummer in that now famous corps that want drum and Bugle).

Back in those Days we called the A corps "the Bugle corps" cuz they were the only one.

I later went on to march in the 2nd season of the Blue Devils B corps too.

I saw Rob Carson's 1971 Championship perfomance and WOW he shure knocked my private instructor's D*** in the dirt!

• 2 weeks later...
The Finleyville Crusaders, a relatively successful, though short-lived drum and bugle corps in the 70's, evolved exclusively  from a twirlie corps called the Modernettes.  I believe the twirlie corps concept changed quite a bit in the late 70's.  I don't know how it exists today, or in what form.  It was under the umbrella of the NBTA back then (National Baton Twirling Assoc.).

,.......................many young drummers in the Erie area started in the drumline of Dal Demons Baton and Drum Corps and eventually went on to the Erie Mavericks and Erie Thunderbirds,...................I spent 7 years with The Demons and competed against the Modernettes many times as a kid in the early 70's,.................we had coverted our glocks into flat 2 mallet bell units, had xylos, vibes, a marimba, etc. like the Modernettes...................... at our peak we had about 30 or so in the percussion section with kids ranging in age from 8 to 18,..............

The Finleyville Crusaders, a relatively successful, though short-lived drum and bugle corps in the 70's, evolved exclusively  from a twirlie corps called the Modernettes.  I believe the twirlie corps concept changed quite a bit in the late 70's.  I don't know how it exists today, or in what form.  It was under the umbrella of the NBTA back then (National Baton Twirling Assoc.).

,.......................many young drummers in the Erie area started in the drumline of Dal Demons Baton and Drum Corps and eventually went on to the Erie Mavericks and Erie Thunderbirds,...................I spent 7 years with The Demons and competed against the Modernettes many times as a kid in the early 70's,.................we had coverted our glocks into flat 2 mallet bell units, had xylos, vibes, a marimba, etc. like the Modernettes...................... at our peak we had about 30 or so in the percussion section with kids ranging in age from 8 to 18,..............

Look back at Fred Miller and Millers Blackhawks before they just a winter guard. At one time he had a 55man hornline and at least 30 in the drumline, all based around baton twilers, and they were good too.

I don't know how it exists today, or in what form.  It was under the umbrella of the NBTA back then (National Baton Twirling Assoc.).

Paul, NBTA still exist. If I'm not mistaken, they usually hold there Nationals at Notre Dame (SP?) A friend of mine has been apart of that association for over 30 years. Her groups have won many awards at the national level.

I believe she said they do have an indoor guard class......but it's mostly baton twirlers who do not have or know the basic techniques for rifle, saber or flag. Granted they can do something pretty cool moves, like the "fish tail" or an illusion with guard equipment, but they lack basic skills.

There was also USTA which was started by Fred Miller and George Wallbridge. USTA also had drum and baton corps and musical corps which were all brass and percussion. Millers Blackhawks use to march over 100 on a basketball floor. I also think Tom Float got his start in a drum and baton corps from Pittsburg and George Shepard was in a d& baton corps from Maryland called Shepards Pink Panthers..... run by his mother. I know BD use to have twirling teams in USTA. Also, wasn't BD originally named the Marianetts sp??

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Yes they were called the Marianettes (or something like that) and BD had won several of those USTA championshps as well!

So, you see the blue Devils winning tradition goes a lot farther back then most people know of.

I was a member of Miller's Blackhawk's from 72-76. I remember going to USTA Nationals in 74 to San Fran. We competed against the Blue Devils twirling corps. I think they had the B corps play for the twirlers. We beat them, but our drumline got clocked good. We never saw them again. We were considered a "musical corps" becuase we had brass AND drums. Some corps were called drum and baton, having just drums playing. Some of those drum and baton corps were very good. I remember Shepard's Pink Panthers, Osh Kosh Warriors, and several others. Another goodmusical corps was the Huntington Thunderer's from Long Island. They infact were the first corps to beat Miller's Blackhawks.

Don Avery

Kadet's 1966-68

Conquistadors 1969-71

Miller's Blackhawks 1972-76

Marion Cadets 1976

Park Ridge Cavaliers 1979

• 2 weeks later...

In Western PA we had the Americanettes (my younger brothers marched with them) but the "big" corps was the "Golden Triangles" I believe from Penn Hills.

Anyone remmber the Black Diamonds from Pittsburgh?

Rocketman - You Can Ring My Bell

ampssuck