I miss drum & bell.

In Western PA we had the Americanettes (my younger brothers marched with them) but the "big" corps was the "Golden Triangles" I believe from Penn Hills.

Anyone remmber the Black Diamonds from Pittsburgh?

Rocketman - You Can Ring My Bell

ampssuck

we,..............the Dal Demons feared the Golden Triangles,..................

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Western PA we had the Americanettes (my younger brothers marched with them) but the "big" corps was the "Golden Triangles" I believe from Penn Hills.

ampssuck

I remember those Corps from weastern PA. Wasn't Tom Float from one of those?

ampssuck

I remember those Corps from weastern PA. Wasn't Tom Float from one of those?

I think the Marionettes,...........

An oft-overlooked SoCal drum, bell, bugle and majorette corps was THE ANTLERS, a Van Nuys-based unit sponsored by The Elks Club. I marched with them as my first drum corps experience between 1959 and '64, I guess.

Had it not been for THE ANTLERS I would probably have not gotten involved with the drum corps activity...might have ended up in one or the other of the local youth bands in the area: Robin Hood Band or Claude Lakey's unit.

PS: Wasn't paying attention....did you NorCals mention St. Marys Drum & Bell Corps out of San Francisco?

RON HOUSLEY

:rolleyes:

Edited by ffernbus3

• 3 weeks later...
I was a member of Miller's Blackhawk's from 72-76. I remember going to USTA Nationals in 74 to San Fran.  We competed against the Blue Devils twirling corps.  I think they had the B corps play for the twirlers.  We beat them, but our drumline got clocked good.  We never saw them again.  We were considered a "musical corps" becuase we had brass AND drums.  Some corps were called drum and baton, having just drums playing.  Some of those drum and baton corps were very good. I remember Shepard's Pink Panthers, Osh Kosh Warriors, and several others.  Another goodmusical corps was the Huntington Thunderer's from Long Island.  They infact were the first corps to beat Miller's Blackhawks. 

Don Avery

Kadet's 1966-68

Conquistadors 1969-71

Miller's Blackhawks 1972-76

Marion Cadets 1976

Park Ridge Cavaliers 1979

You guys used to do a section of Bluerock's walk beat. I played with Prussian Guard. We were all junior high kids that wanted to be in a drumline. I remember being blown away by you guys at regionals at Hara Arena, in Dayton. One of you snares gave me a few lessons and taught our drumline a few times, Tim something, I think.

If I'd never seen the Blackhawks, I may have never explored drum corps.

Edited by MJH

So then most remember when that was the winter guards' music. A few snares, maybe a tenor and a bass drum...I know I have the configuration incorrect though, however no bells/brass, etc. The guard would bang their feet/heels at certain times for effect. No music used at all. No speakers, no amps (just kidding), no bugles, no voice, etc.

Ike Ianessa who was famous in these parts, or should I say infamous had picked a girl to be captain. He couldn't hear her on the floor, so he made her give the commands from the ladies room until everyone could hear....I was 9 and by the end of 15 minutes, I was crying! My Dad had to take me out, I thought it was cruel.....but Ike is actually a wonderful guy.

There are many stories about him, he caught a flag giving him the finger once, must have been a mistake, people from 2-7 don't do that, any way, she had to wear a bandage on that finger the rest of the year....that was mid 70s however, not the 60s....or was it gum on the nose the rest of the year....ohhhhh, my mind is hurting, not my brain but my mind.....ouch

Edited by LancerFi

I was a member of Miller's Blackhawk's from 72-76. I remember going to USTA Nationals in 74 to San Fran.  We competed against the Blue Devils twirling corps.  I think they had the B corps play for the twirlers.  We beat them, but our drumline got clocked good.  We never saw them again.  We were considered a "musical corps" becuase we had brass AND drums.  Some corps were called drum and baton, having just drums playing.  Some of those drum and baton corps were very good. I remember Shepard's Pink Panthers, Osh Kosh Warriors, and several others.  Another goodmusical corps was the Huntington Thunderer's from Long Island.  They infact were the first corps to beat Miller's Blackhawks. 

Don Avery

Kadet's 1966-68

Conquistadors 1969-71

Miller's Blackhawks 1972-76

Marion Cadets 1976

Park Ridge Cavaliers 1979

You guys used to do a section of Bluerock's walk beat. I played with Prussian Guard. We were all junior high kids that wanted to be in a drumline. I remember being blown away by you guys at regionals at Hara Arena, in Dayton. One of you snares gave me a few lessons and taught our drumline a few times, Tim something, I think.

If I'd never seen the Blackhawks, I may have never explored drum corps.

I remember that. We ripped it off a record, which we did for alot of our parts. That's when I was playing Tymp. It was the first exposure for alot of us to drum corps. A few members went on to march in drum corps, but not as many as you would think. I remember the Queen City cadets. I went to a couple of rehearsals in 1975, I think. I was trying to join, but could not get the parents onboard. I remember the unique snare carrier system, it held the drum level. Very cool.

Drum and Bell corps is close to my heart. I marched when I was just 13 and 14 years old with the Red Knghts of San Leandro, CA. It was a great time. It is such a long time ago I cannot even remember who we competed against. We used to have the State Champioships in San Jose. SCV would perform at the end of the show and they would have their green feathers in for the age outs. The next day we would march in the Parade of Champions. Those were great times. I then followed are colorguard instructor who had marched in BD to the Freelancer's in 83 and 84. If it was not for drum and bell corps, I would never have been exposed to drum and bugle corps.

Thanks for the memory.

JMC

I remember the Queen City cadets. I went to a couple of rehearsals in 1975, I think. I was trying to join, but could not get the parents onboard. I remember the unique snare carrier system, it held the drum level. Very cool.

We had this thing Ted Boliski (I think) made out of a coat hanger, a bath towel, and some electrical tape so we could have level drums. As I recall, we wore 2 snare slings clipped at 4 o'clock & 8 o'clock on the drum. He had us cut like 2" off our 3S sticks and we played matched grip with these stubby little tree trunks.

My folks were cool with QCC, but they folded the year I was in them. I never could get the parents on board with Pride of Cincy, though. Too bad, they had a couple of pretty good years. I don't think QCC ever placed higher than 237th. Back then, I think, the 65-A class corps started with 200 for their placement, so that's not as bad as it sounds.

• 3 years later...

Boy does this ever bring back memories!!!! I marched with the Amassadors from Oregon Oh. from 69-74, I played tenor, snare,timbales, then tritoms!!! Good times!!!! :) Then I moved up to the Glassmen after the 74 season, I was tired of hanging around kids, & figgured it was time to move up to the big boys!!!! Whole different world!!!! If my memory serves me correctly, we won state in 69 & 72, including state drum title.... :) BTW if you 'all's wondreing why this thread magically reappeared, it's because I just recently joined, & I tend to start at the back & work my way forwarsd, hey you never can tell what your gonna find!!!!

Edited by k357