Remember When....

Lancerfi----I'm STILL not married! (Just kidding and not trying to tempt you!)

Yeah, the 70s and 80s were pretty good times.....I'd have to think more about the 90s to make the same comment and that's just because I haven't watched 90s in a while.

Funny, on the DCA CDs from this year what did catch my eye and ear was Royal Airs Alumni......oh, and Renegades in the finals. Not to slam anyone else, btw, just an observation.

But you know what really BUGS ME? All that movement setting up on the field and the warm-ups out in front of the audience. I still like the old days on that.....the corps was ON!!! from the time it came in front of the stands...there was no distraction. Watching people set up their equipment and mill around and even warm up before the show actually begins is like being backstage.

"Backstage" used to be reserved for performers and crew and was almost a "sacred" place, if you know what I mean......and it was a "different" place than where the audience sat.....the other side of the curtain if you will, but to me that line, from the audience standpoint, is now blurred.

Just picky, I know, but it bothers me.

..and isn't it remarkable that people still talk about Anaheim's military bearing either in or out of uniform while in the public eye? It was good PR and it was good show biz!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron, as far as finding that people (like me) still talk about Anaheims' military bearing and many other things about them being remarkable I'd have to say, it's not remarkable because it was a long time ago or whatever, it's remarkable because Anaheim was remarkable.

And what a joy for me to see the pictures on the site.

I normally gravitate to the rifle line of course, but all of the pictures are a joy to look at. As young as I was I had such tunnel vision while watching your rifle line. It's all I saw, and can't say I saw or heard anything around me while you were on the field!

Did I ever mention that in 79 & 80 I had no idea that we were playing your song so to speak. I only found out when I watched Brass Roots in about 95 and realized that your OTL sounded awfully familiar....oh that Folk Song Suite, I would have snapped even harder had I known. May have broken a few bones, but it would have been worth it just knowing that one fact!

Folk Song Suite came after my season with Anaheim so I can only point to it with pride as an alumni. I still like hearing it and it gets played in the surf truck on the way to the beach a lot to kinda get me in the mood to do "battle," if you know what I mean....

..incidently, though, I still come hauling into my spot in the lot with Kilties' "Scotland The Brave" booming. If I time it just right, I can slide to a stop just as the corps finishes and yells "HEY!"

And yes, Anaheim's guard!! Loved the rifles all through the years.....first true love was an Anaheim rifle spinner....the guard has always had a special place in my heart from the Karen Anderson years up through the Linda Rieke years and beyond.....if she ever reads this, I remember her with great respect and admiration. Her contra playing brother and charter member Kingsman was a running buddy of mine and I witnessed first hand how hard she practiced on both flag and rifle over the years...Rick, her brother, called her "Wilma Willpower" and did so with respect.

She was a great guard captain....always a champion and always with class.

All the bearing the corps showed, I have to give credit to Rocco, he was still in Marine Blue, and in the band, when he came to the corps and the "discipline" came with him. Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford were the M&M and percussion instructors at this time (66-67) and I really think the credit for the corps "bearing" came from those old Troopers. Anyone who ever saw Pete DM the Troopers knows exactly what I mean.....all the credit he got later with SCV and Blue Devils and The Cadets, and whomever else he and Fred worked for came, initally from what they must have learned in Casper....and then in the late 60s a connection was made with The Kilties through the charts of Ken Norman as well, so Anaheim had some pretty impressive instruction over the years, both from the locals and some stellar people from Wyoming and Wisconsin, just to name a couple places, and if you take into consideration Rocco's East Coast approach to drum corps, it's no surprise to me the corps did as well as it did on the National scene.

After about 72, when I went off to do other things,I lost track of Anaheim but it's still very interesting to me to learn what I missed....and I'm pretty proud of my Anaheim Alumni shirt, that's for sure!

A good source of pictures for Anaheim that LancerFi alluded to can be found at

www.xkingsmen.com

and some nice one's on Munson Chan's Scrapbook of California Drum Corps (you'll have to google the site URL).

27th was no slouch, either and I wish their site had more audio on it.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Ron, I didn't know we had any audio on it. However we have 3 sites that - .net, .org and .com....

As well, if you'd like to see a "Through the Years", not very good quality as they're very old shows, I'll be happy to send you one!

I'm trying to get all of the DVDs together, so far I have 77, 79 & 80.

LancerFi, there was one 27th site I came across once that had some .mp3s on there but they were midi files of songs that 27th had played but they were not the corps playing them. I'm gonna look at all I can find re: 27th and see what's out there.

I'm doing a bit of collecting of the Legacy series thru the years myself, think I'll order up another one today.

IC Reveries was another pretty famous old corps in their time back in the church-sponsored drum corps days.....and that does seem long ago, except still so fresh in the minds of old drum corps types.

RON HOUSLEY

Yes, had there not been a merger and a merger and a merger, and more of us than 31 had joined 2-7 which we originally were the feeder corps for anyway, but ended up in Division 1, we more than likely would have BDs record right now!!!

My sisters marched in the Reveries from the time they were about 13, then were charter members of 2-7....yes, they sat on the field, etc. LOL

If you'd like to watch our "Through the Years" I can send you a copy, however they are such old films and so blurry, you may not even enjoy them!

I have a video of 2-7 from 1971 World Open. B&W....great stuff! (and a great corps)

Great Kingsmen link! Wow I had almost forgotten how great Artistry in Rhythm was! (1974) That could be done today I think. Ron did you know Dale Nissenson? She was Scouts guard instructor in 77-78.

Edited by dans24103

I'm not sure if I remember Dale although the name sounds very familiar to me. I agree with you, 74 Kingsmen was a very nice sounding hornline from West Side Story all the way through to TOP ender.

I like 73 for Folk Song Suite just because, well, it's familiar from school band, that and Holst, but the 74 horn line was sweet! I can't say much for the drill as I see it on The Legacy DVD from that year...I'd been listing to 74 for about 6 months before I got that DVD so I had higher expectations....or at least different ones.

I have heard a quote from the late Gail Royer that if Kingsmen had cleaned up the antiphonal qualities between left and right sides of the field drill they would have beat SCV that year....heard that from Rocco last hear sometime, I think, and that Gail had offered the trophy to AK after Vanguard won but that's just hearsay so cannot verify with certainty.

RON HOUSLEY

My sisters marched in the Reveries from the time they were about 13, then were charter members of 2-7....yes, they sat on the field, etc. LOL

My sister went to one of her college classes in Doylestown, PA (near Philly) wearing a DC shirt. Her prof looked up and said "Oh, ever hear of the Reveries? I marched with them in the 60s." Sis hadn't heard of them so she asked me. I told her to ask the prof if he was part of the sit in. She asked and the prof almost fell off his chair. Turns out his last year was the year before.

Heh, DC people show up in the strangest places.