Remember When....

Rolled feet - beautiful, rolled feet. With spats and really shiny shoes, thank you! Gotta love those spats.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just remember that the scv dm ran the circle drill and "positions drill" for lack of a better term, with an instructor, and later was conducting the horns thru one of the pieces during the run thru. But I do remember dm's running rehearsal way back when....

Maybe that is a function of the fact that the dm's when I marched (not sure about your experience) were long-standing members - from the feeder to the main corps as a mm, and then when they turn 20 or 21 they become the dm. Mm's naturally respect them that way, no?

An interesting comment I heard from someone at the scv rehearsal, fwiw, apparently scv is trying to develop more of a local base. I hope they succeed, and that they are strong for many years to come.

Yes I remember doing all that, but how about driving all over Oklahoma and Kansas in the heat of summer in beat-up old school buses! Then having to get out and do a parade and then the show that night! I wonder how many people remember having to do parades as part of the show. I remember one time when it was real hot and having just travled many hours to get there and having to do the parade, the weather was realy hot, they decided to let us not wear our wool jackets and just go in white T-shirts, I bet we lost a few points that night for doing that but we did make it through it.

Yes, I remember that situation too. We were in a parade/show in 75. I believe it was Hartford Conn. It was 102degrees and the parade route was 4 miles long. We had so many people drop out, that our director put everybody back on the bus (which were following us for the pupose of medical support) and we finished the parade about a half of a mile before the end. Just before the judges stand. LOL I don't think they were too pleased with us that day, but we made up for it at the show. :rolleyes:

yep-remember all of the mentioned.

I especially remember Bobby Thompsons streetbeat in that late 60s which (I think) all the drum lines he taught at that time frame played a varation of including Blessed Sacrament, St Andrews, the Meadowlarks and OLPH Ridgemen.

How about these instructors? Gus Wilke, Bucky Swan, Bobby Thompson, Fred Weber, Ray Capacelli, Frank Kubinak, Jimmy Hurley, Danny Raymond. These were but afew of the people we were privilidged to work with in northern jersey. And if you're between 40 and 60, chances are you were taught by one of them.

Edited by BennyBassDrum

You're also old school when you remember that some "fun-hogs" from the Lakewood Ambassadors changed a few letters on The Troopers truck (or bus) at Seattle in 63/or was it Portland?......I was told that for awhile, thanks to the pranksters who stole the "T" and and hacked off part of the "R", that for a while they were "The Poopers."

There's mention of a "fun loving bunch of kids" (Lakewood

Ambassadors) that Troop stayed with in Las Vegas at 62 AL Nationals on the Troopers website.

I just heard this story today from the reprobates who did this dirty little deed, almost causing another imfamous "corps rumble," but am sworn to secrecy as to the culprits.

(No it wasn't me! I wasn't there!)

RON HOUSLEY

I liked LancerFi's constructive statement, that some things never change, like the dedication and hard work.

The drum major kept control at all times, and there was no messing around. That was one tired group after a day of work.

Hi Rick, and thanks! You know, I took 5 years off around 93 once again, I didn't like what I was seeing-MO, so when I came back I was still a little upset with the way the guards were going. I mentioned this on the Reveries site and my former drum major in the Reveries now BDs rifle tech told me to go to a practice and look into their eyes and see if they aren't you or me 15 or 20 years ago. The dedication, hard work, etc. You know what, as much as I fought it, she was correct. That part has remainded the same. Go TJ... and thanks for that very wonderful lesson.

Also, as you mentioned, the drum major took control, if the staff was late getting back from lunch or where ever, run throughs began. There was an announcement as to who would be drum major, but not yearly. It was judged by many, many factors and was not a yearly thing like it seems to be now. The drum major at 2-7 as you may know was called "Boss Man"...well at least George B called him that!

Finally, George Z and Margaret Twiggs pointed this out in maybe 83 or 84. They said there is a Nancy in every corps, there is a so and so, and a so and so. It seemed that they kept noticing every year that they could pick out members and say that's Lola Lancer, that's Danny Boy, etc. I found that very interesting and try to remember that when I'm watching corps but mostly guards every summer. That not all that much has changed I guess....... :)