Remember When....

Oh, by the way, what year is the pic? It looks like 1973?

All the Best :-)

Yes, I believe it's '73 during "Young Persons Guide".

Hmmm, wonder when the last show was there. Anyone know?

Maggie,

I'm not absolutely positive, but from my recollection the last "major" show on that track was 1973--it was just after DCI in Whitewater that year. The top 5-6 DCI finalists were there, and, of course, you guys won West Allis. In my years in Scouts, I don't recall performing there after 1973. Anyone else want to chime in?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm "Old School"

Had Frank Kubinak as a Drill Instructor and if you made a mistake while marching or were out of the form you received a swift Kick in the *ss.

Today, corps travel with a Psychologist who sits you down to find the underlying reason as to why you are having trouble with the show ??

If you really messed up, your section had 15 seconds to help you remember not to make the mistake again !

Back when I marched all the fields had land mines, were uphill, unmowed, sprinkled with glass and judges didn't mark down ticks... they would pull a blade and cut you.

Oops, sorry... thought this was the ex-marine corps/father forums.

:wacko::wall:

NOBODY DANCED! and the color guard was in the back where they belonged.

Thanks for listening

I resent that statement! I understand your love for old school, but the guard does NOT ALWAYS belong in the BACK in a boring ARC! True today, they seem to "dance" more than they do equipment, but for the most part, they contribute to the "overall" drill design and not just a "backdrop."

Wait, I'm not following, we were featured, most of the time right up front. Of course the pit has taken that away, and the designs of today wouldn't have a tight pyramid or whatever with a 12 person rifle line all doing the same thing.

I like features, of which we had plenty.

We also became quite integrated with the corps especially in 79, 80 & 81. We at some point were in the tymp line, in the horn line, between the snares, and so many other places. George Z. integrated like no other!

The guard seems to me to be more in the back now than ever. Of course you may find 1 flag up front, or 6 rifles moving fast across which is totally fine.

I hardly believe that we took High GE in 1980 because of only the drill of the horn and drumline. :sshh:

Edited by LancerFi

I'm soooo old school I remember all that

remember being hard core and looking through people, not at them ???

Yeah!! Only corps-face allowed, none of this grinning like a baton twirler! Smiling would get your face punched!

What about crying? I always see people crying now, I find it annoying. Why not put that much emotion into your show?

Crying?.........theres no crying in Drum Corps. :P

To me, the rifles had the most attitude of anyone on the field. They RADIATED attitude, right LancerFi?!

Sally, I do have to agree with you on that. I know every section wants to think they're the bad ###es, however we did have some very mean faces, and left and right flanks, etc.

Someone from B-Men said he used to get scared watching our rifle line practice.

Ok so I need to apologize for my "color guard in the back where they belong" crack. Perhaps that was a little harsh. My point, although badly expressed, was that back then (whenever "then" is to you) the talent of the musicians and how clean you were was most important, the overall presentation and effect of the movements were cool, but secondary although hardly unimportant. Color guards don't really even seem to exist now as they all seem to be interpretive modern dance troops being backed by horns and drums.

I can really only speak to what I know and I do know this, drum lines now are not nearly as clean as they were when I marched (mid-late 70's) BUT...we never had to march a drill like that, if I did an 8 count turn it was amazing. I think the snare line made a circle and rotated it once but we weren't playing anything then. Also, we played on equipment that masked a little more than the formica tabletops they play with today.

I don't know if I just dug myself out of the hole or made it deeper.

Yes I remember doing all that, but how about driving all over Oklahoma and Kansas in the heat of summer in beat-up old school buses! Then having to get out and do a parade and then the show that night! I wonder how many people remember having to do parades as part of the show. I remember one time when it was real hot and having just travled many hours to get there and having to do the parade, the weather was realy hot, they decided to let us not wear our wool jackets and just go in white T-shirts, I bet we lost a few points that night for doing that but we did make it through it.

"Old School Part Deux:"

Parades: Remember when: You marched several parades on Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, THEN competed in a field contest in the evening.

While on the subject of 'parades': I well remember the sight of such GREAT color guards as those of the Casper Troopers, St Kevins Emerald Knights and the Bridgeport PAL Cadets LEADING their respective corps down the line of march, extending accross the street, often 'curb to curb', in a "Guard Front", MARCHING at elbow contact.

The drum sections were positioned in FRONT of the hornlines, feeding off of the excitement generated by the color guard that had preceeded them. The "G" bugles of yesteryear had no trouble blowing through them, something that the "legit" brass (trumpets/tubas) of today seem to struggle with.

It seems the corps of today (with some noteable exceptions, the New York Skyliners and Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni corps to name a couple) have copied the high school marching band style of pushing the 'percussionists' to the center of or behind the 'brass' players, and relegating the color guard to the "cleanup' slot behind the unit proper.

Elphaba

While on the subject of 'parades': I well remember the sight of such GREAT color guards as those of the Casper Troopers,

Thanks, thanks, thanks! Geez I hated those parades! The worst ones were when one corps followed another, nothing in between. Once, I can't remember where, rain was threatening, so we went and did the parade in street clothes. We kept hearing the comment that they couldn't tell which corps was which.

We always had the flags in front (actually the rifles were in front), but they were usually all the rookies. The ones with seniority got to march in line with the hornline. That was the place to be. And even there, it was elbow to elbow.

^OO^ ^OO^