Arranging

britdrums

If you are looking to learn how to arrange, the best method is get a score from an established brass arranger, of the same type of ensemble, whos work you respect and study it. Another good way to learn to arrange is to do it, have it played, and do it over and over until writing what you hear in your head becomes as natural as speaking.

The real art of arranging for brass IMHO is to understand the timbre differences between various instruments, how these differences interact both in unisons and chordally. This will give you a vast color pallet of sound from which to create music. What you do with melodic lines, counter point, harmonic stucture is really up to you as the arranger to create your idea of how the music is to sounds.

Arranging for a Brass Quintet, Brass Band, G Drum Corps (2 Valve), G Drum Corps (3 Valve) , Bb/F Band Corps, or what ever brass group is differnet. Each group although seeming to share common instruments on the surface, has vastly different timbre pallets for the instruments unique to that group.

If you have specific questions I would be happy to discuss point by point on arranging for specific brass ensembles.

Randy

I did the study way. I've never had the chance nor, circumstances to have my stuff played by a group willing to let me rewrite many times. and Midi doesn't tell you very much. You can write impossible sounds on it and it'll play it, but you'll never get and ensemble to play it. I'm a firm believer in study first, then do your best with gettin your feet wet and write it and rewrite. I hope someday soon i'll be able to start experimenting with a real ensmeble for writing so i can get off this dang computer.

One thing that I did to improve my arranging chops was to take a song that I liked, in this case it was 1980's SOA Let it be me, and try to transcribe the arrangement. Then after that, I played around with some of the harmonies and added my own spin on the song. It seemed to help me. physically pushing the rewind button got old, but I could listen to that song all day.

I asked Wayne Downey once what he recommeded for an arrangement book and he said that there was a jazz arrangement book by Nestico that he said he referenced a lot.

Arranging truly must be learned from the sorcerer.

I did the study way. I've never had the chance nor, circumstances to have my stuff played by a group willing to let me rewrite many times. and Midi doesn't tell you very much. You can write impossible sounds on it and it'll play it, but you'll never get and ensemble to play it. I'm a firm believer in study first, then do your best with gettin your feet wet and write it and rewrite. I hope someday soon i'll be able to start experimenting with a real ensmeble for writing so i can get off this dang computer.

True,

but sometimes you can get some people togerther and play it... b/c i know I have heard about 60% of my music played live and i have changed it.

Well it all depends, if you writign for fun you probally never here it live, but your writing for a school or something liek me , then you'll get to hear it and edit and change what you want.

yea, i know what you mean. But I have yet to be at a school that would need a student to write or arrange anything. I've asked if we could play a few of the tunes i've written, and they just said they didn't want to use rehearsal time so i can get better. And i was that interested in it till college. My high school probably would have let me.