1980 DCI Finals

That was pretty funny, because the 27 uniform, which I always admired, was very '"involved", :sos:, and there were several hands adjusting me, prior to the parade!

(Kinda looked like this...:angry:)

And, yes, you're right. It WAS quite an experience!  :wub:

Much different than sliding my arms into the Bridgemen coat, connecting the velcro, and snapping one little pin by the lapel!!! 

By the way, that Lancer uniform felt as good as it looks!!!  :angry:

Did we teach you the mellophone part to Danny Boy? Wasn't real difficult, we must have.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we teach you the mellophone part to Danny Boy?  Wasn't real difficult, we must have.

I can still play it! That was the first song I played when I got my mellophone last year... :)

Did we teach you the mellophone part to Danny Boy?  Wasn't real difficult, we must have.

Yes. I learned it, and it was really a blast :D :D :D playing one of the most famous songs in drum corps history!!! Not too difficult. Heck, I even knew 'Folk Song Suite' from having played it in high school, (Thanks to Frank Levy!) but that was 1980, right???

Yes. I learned it, and it was really a blast :D  :D  :D  playing one of the most famous songs in drum corps history!!! Not too difficult. Heck, I even knew 'Folk Song Suite' from having played it in high school, (Thanks to Frank Levy!) but that was 1980, right???

and 79! Same parts too. Funny story about 79. I used to rehearse with a valve rotor and play the show with a 2-valve. Whatever corps was on before us was the corps we borrowed a mellophone from. Talk about changing on the fly. Hey did you do the Memorial Day gig? And if so, where was Sully?

and 79!  Same parts too.  Funny story about 79.  I used to rehearse with a valve rotor and play the show with a 2-valve.  Whatever corps was on before us was the corps we borrowed a mellophone from.  Talk about changing on the fly.  Hey did you do the Memorial Day gig?  And if so, where was Sully?

Memorial Day was AWESOME!!!! And the alumni picnic the day before!

The corps was really GREAT! I felt like I was back in 1980...Really!!!

Haven't spoken to Sully, yet. We haven't heard too much, but I plan on reaching out to him very soon! After all, I was the guy who recruited him back in 1978, or '79. Oh boy! There goes the memory! What's next??? :(

Memorial Day was AWESOME!!!! And the alumni picnic the day before!

The corps was really GREAT! I felt like I was back in 1980...Really!!!

Haven't spoken to Sully, yet. We haven't heard too much, but I plan on reaching out to him very soon! After all, I was the guy who recruited him back in 1978, or '79. Oh boy! There goes the memory! What's next???  :(

How old are you? I know older than me. So don't depress me. I used to have Sully's number but 3 cell phones later it got lost in the shuffle. Last I saw him, he looked good. He seems to be on the straight and narrow. I have to put in my annual when is the North Star softball tournament e-mail, so I'll see if I can get a phone number for you. Wouldn't be the same down there without Sully. I thought about going down there myself but just can't swing it right now. You playing or directing?

How old are you?  I know older than me.  So don't depress me.  I used to have Sully's number but 3 cell phones later it got lost in the shuffle.  Last I saw him, he looked good.  He seems to be on the straight and narrow.  I have to put in my annual when is the North Star softball tournament e-mail, so I'll see if I can get a phone number for you.  Wouldn't be the same down there without Sully.  I thought about going down there myself but just can't swing it right now.  You playing or directing?

I'm :sshh: ! Uh......

ughhh!!!

Actually, I still feel pretty good, thank God!

I work p/t at a residential home for boys aged 10-18, and that helps keep me young, and in shape!!!

(Lots of hoops, football, and baseball!)

That's really good news about Sully! He's a tremendous guy! I'm so happy to hear that he's doing well, and on the straight and narrow!

Yes, it wouldn't be the same without him, and we have a really hot baritone line,

so he would fit right in with them! Keep me posted, OK? Thanks!

I'm directing, AND playing, but for the performances, just directing. I've had my own 18-piece big band for the last 16 years, (I play trumpet), and I love to play, so I play sop at rehearsals, and do a little instructing. Next year, when we hit the field, I'll be DM again, and it's going to be very special, similar to this past weekend! If you can swing it, try and make it down. You could always hitch a ride with Ed H (baritone) from your area. Throw in Sully, and LancerFi, and you've got quite a travel group!! It doesn't require a very large time commitment.

After 2006, I may "retire" to the horn line, and let someone else direct, although, I must admit that I find both playing AND directing equally fun, and rewarding!!!

Edited by overthehillDM

Cool, I'll look into that. I live on the South Shore so I'm on the way to Bayonne. I did the Legends of Mass corps a few years back when we were at the N.J. Hall of Fame banquet in Bayonne (VFW or American Legion post???). What a rush that was. Just a few streets from 27th Avenue. The very street we used to take on the way to the first show of the year. By the way, have you noticed that this thread has become the Jim and Kevin show?

I'm just thrilled I got to know one of the most well known and greatest drum majors of his era. Even if it was for a Disney parade.

Cool, I'll look into that.  I live on the South Shore so I'm on the way to Bayonne.  I did the Legends of Mass corps a few years back when we were at the N.J. Hall of Fame banquet in Bayonne (VFW or American Legion post???).  What a rush that was.  Just a few streets from 27th Avenue.  The very street we used to take on the way to the first show of the year.  By the way, have you noticed that this thread has become the Jim and Kevin show?

I'm just thrilled I got to know one of the most well known and greatest drum majors of his era.  Even if it was for a Disney parade.

Kevin,

Thanks for your very kind, and generous words. It was an honor and a pleasure

meeting you back then, and marching with you in Disney!

Hope to see you again, really soon.

Maybe next time, I can return the favor, and teach you "In the Stone"!

I'm certain that you'll have a much easier time with our uni, than I had with yours, back in 1979!!!

Hope that you can come and join us!

Oh yeah, we were suposed to be talking about 1980 finals, right?!?!

Well, all I can say is...

That was ONE HELLUVA NIGHT!!! :angry::angry::wub:

Everyone played and marched their hearts out!

It was a night that everyone that was fortunate enough to experience, & be a part of,

will NEVER forget!!!

I consider myself very blessed for having been there, in ANY capacity!!!

Edited by overthehillDM

Kevin,

Thanks for the very kind, and generous words. It was an honor and a pleasure

meeting you back then, and marching with you in Disney! 

Hope to see you again, really soon.

Maybe next time, I can return the favor, and teach you "In the Stone"!

I'm certain that you'll have a much easier time with our uni, than I had with yours, back in 1979!!!

Hope that you can come and join us!

Oh yeah, we were suposed to be talking about 1980 finals, right!

Well, all I can say is...

That was ONE HELLUVA NIGHT!!! :angry:  :angry:  :wub:

Everyone played and marched their hearts out!

It was a night that everyone that was fortunate enough to experience, and be a part of,

will  NEVER  forget!!!

I consider myself very blessed for having been there, in ANY capacity!!!

It was memorable to say the least. We were always either 2-3 or 5-6. Never more than one place apart from each other. What was with the football game at the end of the show? I know it was representing Auburn-Alabama but how much time did you guys have to do all that? Well I guess it was a little different than the fall down you guys used to do. On the DVD, Rondinaro didn't know what to say when he saw that.