1980 DCI Finals

It was memorable to say the least.  We were always either 2-3 or 5-6.  Never more than one place apart from each other.  What was with the football game at the end of the show?  I know it was representing Auburn-Alabama but how much time did you guys have to do all that?  Well I guess it was a little different than the fall down you guys used to do.  On the DVD, Rondinaro didn't know what to say when he saw that.

I think that was Bobby Hoffman's idea (who else???), although, I'm certain that Tom Pratt, (guard), Mike Mercandante, (guard/m & m), and Dennis DeLucia, were all in on the creative thread!

What do you mean by time? At the end of our performance, which I think ended a little early, we had to rush into the "football game" set. The plan, as executed, was to run an end-around to the "Bird", for the "winning" touchdown. I was not in on "the play", since I had spent much of the 3 days prior to finals at the hospital with my girlfriend at the time. She was in the flag line, and had been rushed to the hospital for some testing, and possible surgery for a stomach ailment. She recovered in time, thank God, to do a few run-throughs, and march finals.

By the way, we weren't all that crazy about "the Bird", like many people, but we DID love the person inside the costume, Bernie B, from Brooklyn!

She was a doll, and one of the nicest people that you could ever hope to meet!

Steve Rondinaro didn't say anything, but Rita Moreno did. (Or was it Chita Riviera?Told you my memory was going!!! ) At least she started to say something, while laughing, before the DCI broadcast music bumper kicked in, and they wiped the screen to a commercial!!! :(

It was cool, but it didn't have the same effect as the fall down. (Of course, the fall down was MOST effective in Philadelphia in 1976, the FIRST time it was utilized!!!)

What I REALLY wish the TV crew had taped was our entrance onto the field! It was a tight box formation, and we did a pretty cool strut/dance down the 50-yard line! All to some really funky music on a very large boom box, carried by our Guard Captain, Diane! If anyone has some video of our entrance to the field in 1980, please let me know... I would LOVE to see it!......THANKS!!! B)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was Bobby Hoffman's idea (who else???), although, I'm certain that Tom Pratt, (guard), Mike Mercandante, (guard/m & m), and Dennis DeLucia, were all in on the creative thread!

What do you mean by time? At the end of our performance, which I think ended a little early, we had to rush into the "football game" set. The plan, as executed, was to run an end-around to the "Bird", for the "winning" touchdown. I was not in on "the play", since I had spent much of the 3 days prior to finals at the hospital with my girlfriend at the time. She was in the flag line, and had been rushed to the hospital for some testing, and possible surgery for a stomach ailment. She recovered in time, thank God, to do a few run-throughs, and march finals.

By the way, we weren't all that crazy about "the Bird", like many people, but we DID love the person inside the costume, Bernie B, from Brooklyn!

She was a doll, and one of the nicest people that you could ever hope to meet!

Steve Rondinaro didn't say anything, but Rita Moreno did. (Or was it Chita Riviera?Told you my memory was going!!! )  At least she started to say something, while laughing, before the DCI broadcast music bumper kicked in, and they wiped the screen to a commercial!!!  :( 

It was cool, but it didn't have the same effect as the fall down. (Of course, the fall down was MOST effective in Philadelphia in 1976, the FIRST time it was utilized!!!)

What I REALLY wish the TV crew had taped was our entrance onto the field! It was a tight box formation, and we did a pretty cool strut/dance down the 50-yard line! All to some really funky music on a very large boom box, carried by our Guard Captain, Diane! If anyone has some video of our entrance to the field in 1980, please let me know... I would LOVE to see it!......THANKS!!!  B)

What I meant was how much time before the final gun. You answered that. I'll say one thing, I don't think people ever knew how hard you guys worked to do what you did. Having toured with you guys, I got to see first hand. You guys busted ### just like we and everyone else did. There was a method to the madness you guys put out there. I'm sure there was some chillin' time but to be that good in 80 there was some time put in. Drum Corps could use a Bridgemen these days.

Drum Corps could use a Bridgemen these days.

Ain't that the truth! w/Stp: (sans stupid, of course)

QUOTE(ferb27 @ Jun 2 2005, 10:44 PM)

Drum Corps could use a Bridgemen these days.

Ain't that the truth! w/Stp: (sans stupid, of course)

Thanks Kevin, and Sue!

Don't know if we'll ever be back as in "junior", and/or "senior" corps,

BUT WE'RE CERTAINLY BACK AS AN...

ALUMNI CORPS!!!

(With a lot of fun and surprises in store for everyone, next year!!!)

What I REALLY wish the TV crew had taped was our entrance onto the field! It was a tight box formation, and we did a pretty cool strut/dance down the 50-yard line! All to some really funky music on a very large boom box, carried by our Guard Captain, Diane! If anyone has some video of our entrance to the field in 1980, please let me know... I would LOVE to see it!......THANKS!!!  B)

I can remember the corps entering the field in a similar fashion at '81 prelims & finals. Shooting Tony as the timing gun went off was classic! :angry:

• 6 months later...

As a snare drummer with Spirit in 1980 I remember going back and forth with 27th on tour. Their line seemed to edge us out almost all summer long until the final push into finals. Blue Devils were the usual Blue Devils, although the drum line was a bit weaker than it had been in the past. The top 4 corps could have won on that night for sure. A tie for high drums with Bridgemen is something I will never forget.

Dennis Johnson :)

http://www.spiritboard.org/forums/index.php

Dennis, Have you been on the Spirit alumni site?? If not, please check in.

Cool, I'll look into that. I live on the South Shore so I'm on the way to Bayonne. I did the Legends of Mass corps a few years back when we were at the N.J. Hall of Fame banquet in Bayonne (VFW or American Legion post???). What a rush that was. Just a few streets from 27th Avenue. The very street we used to take on the way to the first show of the year. By the way, have you noticed that this thread has become the Jim and Kevin show?

I'm just thrilled I got to know one of the most well known and greatest drum majors of his era. Even if it was for a Disney parade.

You should go march the Bridgemen alumni for my husband and I since we can't do it this year... :music:

• 17 years later...
On 3/6/2004 at 9:15 PM, Blue Devil Legend said:

BUT.............I just spent sometime this afternoon watching a few Legacy DVD's and infact, while watching the 27th Lancers performance, I REALLY wished they had won that night in Birmingham.

This was a Corps that I admired since 1975, my 1st year in the Blue Devils, a Corps that ALWAYS exuded class and friendship to EVERYONE involved in the activity, one that could really get the crowd involved in a big way while they performed their show. "Fun" and "entertaining" were two words that always followed 27th around through their years in Drum Corps, and the same words will always apply to them for the duration.

They represented our country in the opening Olympic ceremonies in Lake Placid, NY in 1980, did the Drum Corps world, and our country proud with their performance that night.

Competition at it's highest certainly does some crazy stuff to one's rationale, and with that said, it's so different for me almost 24 years later from that night in Alabama. Back then, I COULD NOT like them, they were my "enemy", my "competition", 128 individuals that stood together against 128 of my comrades to take the very prize that we coveted.........the 1980 DCI Championship, and deny me the chance to age out of the activity a champion.

Maybe the scores told a different story that night , but I can tell you this, if I could change history, I would give the 27th Lancers the DCI Championship in 1980, they did one helluva show that night, and for all that they brought to the activity over their existence, August 16, 1980 should have been their crowning glory.

You have no idea what this post means to so many of us who were there in 1980. We worked so very hard that year. Some though that our performance at finals was flat. They don't know that right before finals one of our rifles had to be rushed to the hospital to have her appendix out. We were so worried for her. To focus enough past that to place 2nd was miraculous. Thank you for your words. You are correct that we deserved to win that year.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:38 PM, Mary Murray said:

You have no idea what this post means to so many of us who were there in 1980. We worked so very hard that year. Some though that our performance at finals was flat. They don't know that right before finals one of our rifles had to be rushed to the hospital to have her appendix out. We were so worried for her. To focus enough past that to place 2nd was miraculous. Thank you for your words. You are correct that we deserved to win that year.

Was that why there is an ‘Injured’ rifle w/ arm in sling?  Filling drill hole but not up to speed of equipment work?    Not accusing, just curious - we all used that trick during that era.