1980 DCI Finals

BUT.............I just spent sometime this afternoon watching a few Legacy DVD's and infact, while watching the 27th Lancers performance, I REALLY wished they had won that night in Birmingham.

This was a Corps that I admired since 1975, my 1st year in the Blue Devils, a Corps that ALWAYS exuded class and friendship to EVERYONE involved in the activity, one that could really get the crowd involved in a big way while they performed their show. "Fun" and "entertaining" were two words that always followed 27th around through their years in Drum Corps, and the same words will always apply to them for the duration.

They represented our country in the opening Olympic ceremonies in Lake Placid, NY in 1980, did the Drum Corps world, and our country proud with their performance that night.

Competition at it's highest certainly does some crazy stuff to one's rationale, and with that said, it's so different for me almost 24 years later from that night in Alabama. Back then, I COULD NOT like them, they were my "enemy", my "competition", 128 individuals that stood together against 128 of my comrades to take the very prize that we coveted.........the 1980 DCI Championship, and deny me the chance to age out of the activity a champion.

Maybe the scores told a different story that night , but I can tell you this, if I could change history, I would give the 27th Lancers the DCI Championship in 1980, they did one helluva show that night, and for all that they brought to the activity over their existence, August 16, 1980 should have been their crowning glory.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1980 was a strange year. 27th, Bridgemen, BD, Spirit and even Regiment early on, were all possible winners come August.

I'd agree with "legend", 27th's show in 1980 was awesome. Perhaps a bit more work in the brass caption and the title would have been theirs.

Rocketman

ampssuck

I was a big Lancer fan and supporter. I was at the '80 show with a 50 yard line seat at the front of the second level, a great seat. My friend, another Lancer person, and I knew they had not won before the scores. In addition to the suspect hornline, the Lancers that night appeared to perform "not to lose" rather than to win. They were conservative and a bit flat. BD, did their usual thing (e.g. they were very good), the Bridgement tore it up, and Spirit was very, very emotional. We left the stands before the scores fearing the Lancers might have finished 4th. Not the way we wanted to see it play out, but that's life. Funny thing, we thought that the '81 Lancer corps was actually better with a better show. George Z. was just beginning to experiment, and the hornline sounded great early on. This time they got conservative at the end of the season replacing the innovative closer, "Spitfire", with the tired "Danny Boy" and lost their edge. Seeing them mid-season at DCI East, they looked like champs in the making.

I agree with JFitz19. I was at Allentown that day and thought that 27ths' show was awesome. It had everything you needed to win and the hornline really sounded good. Spitfire was an excellent closer for them. I thought they had a good chance to win DCI at that point.

Jim Wolf

71-77 N. J. Black Watch

I have to agree with you on the 81 Lancers. As long as I live I'll never forget the first time I saw them yhat year - it was in Clifton, NJ in June and it was the first meeting between Madison and 27th, both undefeated at the time. That might just have been the best show I've ever attended, just incredible! I'm lucky enough to have a tape of that show with Madison, 27th, Bayonne and the Cavies on it and everybody came out smoking that night. And I definately loved the "Spitfire" ending for 27th, not that "Danny Boy" isn't a classic. 81 27th will always be one of my absolute favorite shows and corps from any year.

BUT.............I just spent sometime this afternoon watching a few Legacy DVD's and infact, while watching the 27th Lancers performance, I REALLY wished they had won that night in Birmingham.

That's awfully sweet and very classy of you to say even now, 24 years later.

In Allentown the guard for some reason got on the busses before the hornline, I swear to you that night in Allentown at the school, they could have been any of the top 4 horn lines. They were warming up, the warm up ended with a piece of Crown Imperial. :wall:

The guard had always felt......well, it doesn't matter now, any way, they were right on, loud not crass, witj a beaitiful sound. They did a few other things and we almost tipped the bus over. They were so very proud that night. When we marched in, having won prelims, we all knew we'd tear the house down, and we did! :poke:

Having said all of the above, I must tell you that many people think that the 1980 BD corps was the total package, and I'll tell you it sure looks, sounds, and is presented oh so beautifully on the 80 Legacy DVD!

Anyway in 1980 we aged out only 8 people, the drum major, the captain-me, a flag, a triple tom, the contra who won individuals, and had given the extra lift the horn line needed that year, and a few others. Not too many left either. ^0^

Coming 2nd, and having people who had marched together probably on average 3 to 4 years was a very good thing for 81. Oh did I love that show! I was absolutely shocked at the outcome in Montreal on many fronts. I was truly born a year too soon. The guard was also very, very good in 81.

Anyway, BDLegend, you certainly have made my day, quite possibly my week! :) :) :wall::wall:

Oh would I love to see 1980's prelim performance at both DCI East prelims and finals. That's something that I'm really, really interested in!

This was a Corps that I admired since 1975, my 1st year in the Blue Devils, a Corps that ALWAYS exuded class and friendship to EVERYONE involved in the activity, one that could really get the crowd involved in a big way while they performed their show. "Fun" and "entertaining" were two words that always followed 27th around through their years in Drum Corps, and the same words will always apply to them for the duration.

They represented our country in the opening Olympic ceremonies in Lake Placid, NY in 1980, did the Drum Corps world, and our country proud with their performance that night.

Competition at it's highest certainly does some crazy stuff to one's rationale, and with that said, it's so different for me almost 24 years later from that night in Alabama. Back then, I COULD NOT like them, they were my "enemy", my "competition", 128 individuals that stood together against 128 of my comrades to take the very prize that we coveted.........the 1980 DCI Championship, and deny me the chance to age out of the activity a champion.

Maybe the scores told a different story that night , but I can tell you this, if I could change history, I would give the 27th Lancers the DCI Championship in 1980, they did one helluva show that night, and for all that they brought to the activity over their existence, August 16, 1980 should have been their crowning glory.

All I can say is "Wow" I think you've seen the light my friend!! Such wonderful comments and true; to make of someone from the outside looking in. Even though I didn't march that year, the years I did march reflected the same things. In reference to the accomplishments 27th Lancers brought to the DCI Activity.

You brought a tear of nostilgia to my eyes! Thanks! :wall:

1980 BD and 27th, quite possibly one of the best "duos" in DCI. Tough call for me, it was 80 that I fell in love with the Blue devils and added them to my love affair with 27th.

of course, 1980 27th Colorguard, especially rifle line, is in my opinion, and many, many others the best colorguard DCI has ever, ever had.....but I digress......

1981 27th Lancers is one of my favorite all time shows. I too was at the show with Rich and what an absoultely electrifying performance.

I also remmeber Allentown that first week of July and how electrifying 27th was and ow they beat Madison.......

Spitfire is one of the reasons I loved 1981 so much, it was quite a competent "re-entry" and just a satisfying piece all around.

~G~

I have the tape of the show when they still used "Spitfire" in the show. I think cause in 81 Montreal didn't do the finals. So I guess we have the show from Whitewater.

Edited by Lancerlady