1980 DCI Finals

You're right as usual, Nancy. 1978 disco was trying to cash in on Quasar's success.  Remember Papaya??  "Celebrate" was brought back after the Tower of Power tune ("Because I Think the World of You") tanked as a concert.  Remember the guard member doing a solo ballet? Zingali was a little TOO way ahead of his time with that one.  All in all, the finals performance was pretty good.  That was a looooong season though.  Wish I'd been eligible to march '79 and gone out with more of a bang.

My husband Roger (Contra from California) will have to get in on this conversation when he gets home from work. He tells me this story all the time. About Papaya and the TOP tune. :) Side story, don't know if y'all know this but one of our own 27th Lancers drummers played with the Tower of Power a few years...Russ McKinnon :). Here is an article from Russ where he stated the following he is now with Joe Cocker...

He credits his membership in the 27th Lancer Drum and Bugle Corps rom Revere, Massachusetts as an important musicianship-building experience.

Russ McKinnon

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband Roger (Contra from California) will have to get in on this conversation when he gets home from work. He tells me this story all the time. About Papaya and the TOP tune. :) Side story, don't know if y'all know this but  one of our own 27th Lancers drummers played with the Tower of Power a few years...Russ McKinnon :).

Yes, he's my x-boyfriend. Ooops! The minute he walked behind Northgate I knew I was in love :wub: He's played with so many more than that-I wish I could remember most of them...... Pia Zidora, Alan Thick (don't know if the younguns know any the above) so many bigger than that actually. but I can't remember who else. I mean he's been at it since about 1980 in LA.

We dated for about 2 months (he was only here for I believe 3), and a few things happened and I was about to tell him it was over, and they didn't use him in the snare line......everyone still believes that I left him because he was not going to be in the snare line, which is ridiculous. I was so amazed that he was something like the OK state trap drum champ and he was cut? I really knew then I didn't understand what a huge difference.

He did play what was it called the "Tymbali" 4 diffent sized drums all together... , nothing like quads, or tymps. (I think that was the name)

Anyway, he began dating someone that evening, see I know when it's not right!!

LancerLegend I believe you let him live in your apartment at the beach for a few weeks before tour eh Duke? It was like 13 of the wackiest, craziest drummers ever seen!!! ^0^ :lolhit: :angry::angry: ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

However I believe that was 1977 LancerLady, not 1978!

Yes I know it was 1977.... that 70s Lancer can discuss it too of course!

Edited by LancerFi

Yes,  he's my x-boyfriend.  Ooops!  The minute he walked behind Northgate I knew I was in love  :wub:  He's played with so many more than that-I wish I could remember most of them...... Pia Zidora, Alan Thick (don't know if the younguns know any the above) so many bigger than that actually. but I can't remember who else.   I mean he's been at it since about 1980 in LA.

We dated for about a month, and a few things happened and I was about to tell him it was over, and they didn't use him in the snare line......everyone still believes that I left him because he was not going to be in the snare line, which is ridiculous.  I was so amazed that he was something like the OK state trap drum champ and he was cut?  I really knew then I didn't understand what a huge difference. 

He did play what was it called the "Tymbali" 4 diffent sized drums all together... , nothing like quads, or tymps. (I think that was the name)

LancerLegend I believe you let him live in your apartment at the beach for a few weeks before tour eh Duke?  It was like 13 of the wackiest, craziest drummers ever seen!!!  ^0^ :lolhit:  :angry:  :angry:  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^

Hmm...thanks for clearing that up for me! I wondered what year it was he marched. George B. told me the story about how Russ was determined to make it since he got cut from the snare line, and getting cut from the snare line was the best thing to ever happen to him. It made him work harder to achieve more. Look at him now. :)

Hey Nancy don't you hate it when you hear about ex's making it big time! I don't see a ring on his finger either! :) I wondered who the lucky Lancer was that stole his heart and now I see it's you! :) If you click on that link it gives a list of all the people he has drummed for. He has even played for Madonna! :) The list of people is so cool! :)

My brother is a professional drummer, plays jazz and christian rock, so I learned to play from him and some Lancers living at the hall, so I am always amazed at drummers. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

How do I feel? I am so happy that I know someone who actually made it and makes a living at what he's passionate about. I couldn't be happier for him. Not that many people make it in that business, he not only made it but is thriving.

Oh, what might have been... :P

I went to a show back in 1984 when one of the bands he was playing with was in town, unfortunatly no one from the corps wanted to go however in 94 when TOP played here, I believe many, many people went to see him. I did not.

It was very sweet, he came to Alabama in 1980 and as was usual, we'd always go and buy Denise and Peggy a corsage for finals night. He drove me and the person who would be captain the next year, he was so excited for us! It was very sweet, I went next door to the florist and while I was there she got me a corsage that I wore at retreat. It was really, really very sweet, and very unexpected!

We also sent a dozen roses to our missing rifle, with a note on each of them from us.......oh did we cry buckets over having to go on the field without Peggy that night!

Anyway, when I first saw him he had long blonde hair, not as long as some of these pictures, but about shoulder length.....you know how quick that had to be cut I know!!!

Anyway, I digress, he was and probably is still a very sweet guy!

Edited by LancerFi

Speaking of guys, does anyone know Earl Viney (sp) from Pennsylvania?

They blame me for him not staying after he joined. (long story) That's ridiculous as well.

He was a screamer of a soprano I guess!

Yes,  he's my x-boyfriend.  Ooops!  The minute he walked behind Northgate I knew I was in love  :lol:  He's played with so many more than that-I wish I could remember most of them...... Pia Zidora, Alan Thick (don't know if the younguns know any the above) so many bigger than that actually. but I can't remember who else.   I mean he's been at it since about 1980 in LA.

We dated for about 2 months (he was only here for I believe 3), and a few things happened and I was about to tell him it was over, and they didn't use him in the snare line......everyone still believes that I left him because he was not going to be in the snare line, which is ridiculous.  I was so amazed that he was something like the OK state trap drum champ and he was cut?  I really knew then I didn't understand what a huge difference. 

LancerLegend I believe you let him live in your apartment at the beach for a few weeks before tour eh Duke?  It was like 13 of the wackiest, craziest drummers ever seen!!!  ^0^ :lolhit:  :angry:  :angry:  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^

I thought you only went for the dark hair and eyes guys? :wub:

Edited by Malibu

I thought you only went for the dark hair and eyes guys?  :angry:

A 10 is a 10 is a 10.

Yes,  he's my x-boyfriend.  Ooops! ......He did play what was it called the "Tymbali" 4 diffent sized drums all together... , nothing like quads, or tymps. (I think that was the name).......LancerLegend I believe you let him live in your apartment at the beach for a few weeks before tour eh Duke?  It was like 13 of the wackiest, craziest drummers ever seen!!! 

The other half of the story from 1977....Russ did get "recruited" by Art Fabrizio who was a Music Major at U of OK-Tulsa. Russ showed up "late" - end of May +/-. First tour he played snare, and Mike Adams was playing the bongo/timbale set. After first tour down south, we knew we needed 5 toms, and since Mike Adams was a monster tom drummer from his other corps (Rockland), and Russ was struggling with the Rocky show, Kumer had Russ take the timbales, and Adams switched to toms.

And yes LancerFi, Russ did stay with Bruce Gammon, Jack C and me down at the beach. If DCI gave out awards for "number of players to stay in a studio apartment", we would have won hands down.

It was ironic about your relationship though, and Russ took quite a ribbing over the coincidence of changing from snare and not going out with a rifle any longer.

FYI to other forumites - in Lancer folklore - snares only dated rifles and vice versa - and everyone else had to settle for "second best." Only Chris Perry and I wound up marrying rifles and we were not snare worthy. b**bs

Speaking of guys, does anyone know Earl Viney (sp) from Pennsylvania?

They blame me for him not staying after he joined. (long story)  That's ridiculous as well.

He was a screamer of a soprano I guess!

Earl was the ultimate Lancer fan. He was always at shows, years before he actually joined. He held us in very high esteem. he really thought we walked on water. When he finally joined, the shine seemed to wear off for him. Maybe because he thought we just hit a switch and became 2-7 at any given notice or because we were such an icon for him it was hard to be on the inside. I think he joined sometime from 81 to 83. It was one of the harder years from a breakdown and rehearsal standpoint. I don't think he was fully prepared for what he was getting himself into. I don't think it had anything to do with you Nancy. Unless of course there is a story I don't know about.