Old School--Best year ever

I'm stillwaiting for someone from SCV 1980 to refute the theme of best year ever--1980 B)

I'm not from Santa Clara . . . obviously. But you know what? As hard as it had to be on the members of that corps to place seventh, that show is one of my all-time favorites. Just an incredibly innovative show, from top to bottom, especially for its time. So it's probably bittersweet . . . maybe more bitter than sweet, for the corps. They had one of the most amazing shows that year, yet paid a competitive price because it was so hard to execute.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm stillwaiting for someone from SCV 1980 to refute the theme of best year ever--1980 B)

I'm not from Santa Clara . . . obviously. But you know what? As hard as it had to be on the members of that corps to place seventh, that show is one of my all-time favorites. Just an incredibly innovative show, from top to bottom, especially for its time. So it's probably bittersweet . . . maybe more bitter than sweet, for the corps. They had one of the most amazing shows that year, yet paid a competitive price because it was so hard to execute.

Not to mention they were at least three years ahead of anyone in drill design. ^OO^ ^OO^

In '80, some of the guys in the line used to go to critique after Jim Ott died. I knew Pete Emmons for a long time and got to teach a band camp with him here in '78. In the critiques I got to crash [and discover gin/tonic] I remember hearing Pete telling judges that "they just did not understand" SC's show. I have to agree.

27 came from side one and rotated their set; SC came from side two [way cool] and rotated their set. Giant cool moves from either side is just the bomb. Coming in from side two was just way too cool and should be a standard for coolness.

Sorry. Too much use of "cool"...

In '80, some of the guys in the line used to go to critique after Jim Ott died. I knew Pete Emmons for a long time and got to teach a band camp with him here in '78. In the critiques I got to crash [and discover gin/tonic] I remember hearing Pete telling judges that "they just did not understand" SC's show. I have to agree.

27 came from side one and rotated their set; SC came from side two [way cool] and rotated their set. Giant cool moves from either side is just the bomb. Coming in from side two was just way too cool and should be a standard for coolness.

However, our move is from 1979.........and people said it couldn't be done in 60 counts...... B) I should say Zingali's move!

Edited by LancerFi

Hate to say it, but 1987 VK fielded a girl in a bikini, also, for their "Beach Boys" medley...also the beginning (I think!) of "2CoolVK"...

If I'm wrong, I just know someone will correct me!

No you're right...yes you're not wrong... b**bs b**bs

1987 was the first bikini girl...then in 1988 they had the "Amazonian" type women in the drum solo (which was the 1987 drum solo revisited)...then in 1989 the banana peel girl...

Now we're there any others??????

Why do I kill threads so much up here on DCP?? Am I really that much of a dork?

No! :) this thread has been up and down.