Older Horns/Bugles

JimF-LowBari

OK, I ripped off the Capital One commercial (What's in Your Wallet?) :P

Wondering if anyone else has any older bugles/horns that they keep around and why they still keep them. No I'm not looking to buy, just wondering if others feel the way I do about the "old metal".

I have a 2 valve Bari that I use for home practice and Westshoremen Alumni.

Also have single valve Bari from before World War II (see avatar). Saw it on ebay and just could not resist. b**bs Yeah I play it once in a while too B)

I have a nice collection of valveless and one valve bugles that hang on the wall along with others in the attic. There is an amazing array of styles and shapes to be found. I just won two M1894 Bb trench bugles on Ebay, one raw brass the other silver, and they cleaned up nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

"Bugles In the Basement":

At one time or another our basement contained:

An Olds Ultratone GF valve/rotor soprano, an Olds Ultratone GF valve/rotor bass barirone, a King GF two valve bass baritone and an Olds two valve GF bass baritone.

All have been donated to very worthy causes.

Elphaba

Single Piston Soprano Bugle

Piston/Rotor Olds G French Horn that was on the field with Blue Devils

Two valve King G Flugel

3 valve Kanstul G Mellopone

3 Valve Dynasty F Mellophone

3 Valve King Bb French Horn

Does Frank Dorritie post here? He has more horns than most drum corps!

Does Frank Dorritie post here? He has more horns than most drum corps!

If he has as many horns as corps he worked with, he must have a HUGE basement.... :P

I have a two valve DEG Dynasty sop that I bought from the Boston Crusaders a few years back, a two valve King Mello that I bought from Impluse a couple years ago. I just bought some horns from Jeff Davis(AKA Rocketman) 3 two valve flugels, DEG I think, a two valve DEG Bari, a two valve DEG Euph, and a piston-rotor King Contra. I have to drive my butt down(From Salem OR) to the BF middle of nowhere(29 palms CA) in order to get them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2 valve deg/dynasty sop...P/R Olds Mellophone...2 valve American Heritage Bari ( I use that one with the Toronto Optimists Alumni now)... P/R concert french horn Imperial and a P/R Contra Imperial. They come in handy at home Wife plays mello, daughter playes mello/sop, son playes contra and I play Bari.