Buying a Trumpet

MoKeefus

I'm starting my search for a trumpet.

I knew what I wanted when I bought my Sop but I have know idea of what I should be looking for when buying a trumpet. I know I want a silver horn. I know I want something more than a beginning student horn. I'm thinking mid-grade maybe a little more.

As far as brands go, there seems to be a lot more trumpet makers than bugle makers. Who among them produces a good middle value Bb trumpet?

As far as used trumpets go, what brand seems to hold up better than the others?

All, thanx for the advice.

keith

If you can afford to purchase a used professional trumpet, that would be your best value. Intermediate grade trumpets are little more than a student model with a few bells and whistles. You should be able to find a used pro model priced close to a new intermediate model.

My preference has always been a Bach Strad, but Yamaha and others make fine trumpets as well. You should absolutely, without a doubt, play several different horns before buying. Find one that works well for you as the old different strokes for different folks apply, as well as the variance between seemingly identical instruments.

If you just want a decent cheap horn go with any of the midline or even the Bach Strad. I'm not a fan of Bach anymore, I play on one. Its just not what i want anymore. But i'm going down the custom root, so i'm gonna be spending a good bit of money. But on Ebay or Horntrader.com there are usually some bach strads being sold there for a pretty good bargain.

Just play as many as possible. If you can find a music shop around that has a whole bunch of horns, just bring yout mouthpiece and play play play for an hour. Find one with good action, that you can easily produce a good tone on, that is pretty in tune throughout its range & valve combinatiosn, and you can move a lot of air through at varying speeds & volumes.

I personally love my Holton (I paid about $750 for it) as well as the Yamahas I've played on (the Crossmen & now Cabs Xenos run $1000+). I've also played King Silver Flares/Conn ConnStellations that weren't half bad, and they're pretty affordable, I think. I've never been a big fan of Bachs simply because I don't have a lot of money to throw around and I couldn't find something about them that was so great that made them worth twice as much (literally) as my Holton.

I also have to agree with a previous post. Intermediate trumpets are pretty much student-model engineering with some shiny silver plating and maybe some better valves. They don't handle much air, in my experience. Put out the extra money for a slightly-used professional model.

One more thing, buy in person, not over the internet or through the mail. Every individual horn has its own tendencies/imperfections. Just because you find a model you like in a shop doesn't mean you'll get an identical horn if you find it cheaper on the internet.

Edited by CTonHolLa

I have been in a B flat trumpet buying frenzy after joining a local community band.I have a old bach Strad that I gave to my son.After trying several Modern Bach's I was discouraged about the Bach Quality of today.Valves needed alignment.

Kanstul makes some decent horns but for my money look around at some Get zen 900's or the Conn Vintage 1.Both are in the $1300 range but boy do you get a load for that money.

The Get zen 700 is a great little intermediate trumpet as well as the Kanstul 610.The Get zen sells for around $600 and the Kanstul for about $450 in lacquer.

Paul at the brass shop has some used Dynasty 2000's.Not my cup of tea at all but it has some neat featurs.At $400 bucks its a steal.

I'd see if cadets/crossmen still have some used trumpets. The Yamaha xeno is quite the deal I'm told. People are even selling their strads to get the yamaha's. It's a professional horn, they're selling them with a season use for around $1000 if I remember right, otherwise if you wanted it new it'd be around $1500ish.

Look for Yamaha, Getzen, and if you really must - Bach (but whatever you do, if you find one you like BUY THAT ONE, not another one!!!). Can you tell I'm not a Bach fan? I play a Yamaha and love it. I also played a French Besson a long time ago and thought it was a good horn, but don't remember the price on it. Some people like to snap up Olds horns on Ebay, I've never played one, but I've heard they're really good.

Yamaha is coming out this year with a trumpet designed by Bob Malone (very famous for his trumpet conversions). I can't wait to get to try one out.

See if there is a Sam Ash store near you. They always have a nice selection of new and used trumpets. Like somebody else already said, try as many horns as possible. And remember, trumpets are like cars, no two are exactly alike. Just because you play one in a store or maybe a buddies, then go online to make a purchase, you might not be happy. My favorite is the King.