Membership Fees

When I marched Freelancers, the tour fee and dues were $650, together. Camp fee was $20. If fees were paid prior ro March, I think the tour fee was dropped to $450.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can remember right tour fees with VK (89-90) were around $450-$500, but you had to work 2 bingos and/or have someone work them for you. The 2 bingos cost you $100 if not worked.

You had to buy your own Converse. Can't remember having to pay for camps though.

$450 for BD in 1984...no requirement to work bingo (although I did a couple of times just to earn some extra money) or camp fees.

I gave a check for the full amount to Mike Moxley when he picked me up at the airport when I moved up....I think I was the first one to pay off in 84.

Thank you, Mom, for that birthday present!!!

Well, having marched in pre-DCI days 57-61, I can say that things have changed a lot! The PAL Cadets didn't have any dues at all and we didn't tour. Weekend bus trips to PA NJ NY MA and thenmaybe Nationals. The biggest change though, is the former community nature of the corps. I was in the same corps in Junior HIgh and then High School. In someof the Bridgeport High Schools there were 3 or 4 corps represented with their corps' jackets andall. Almost everyone came into the corps with no musical experience. In the case of the PAL, Earl Sturtz taught you to drum and PopRuge taught you what middle C was. At some point, Hy Dreitzer started arranging. And all the corps hung out at the beach at Seaside Park during the summer. We rehearsed all year,as well. It really was a way of life. Not to romanticize it too much, but it was maybe "American Graffiti" with horns.

Last September, the PAL had its first reunion in 30 years. Out of that has come a Greater Bridgeport reunion corps, with members from 10 local corps from the sixties. We have 88 horns, 45 drums, 65 color guard, 8 majors and an average age of 58. Some of us went on to senior corps, we even have some current members of the Caballeros Alumni and Skyliners Alumni, but most haven't played in 35 years. We're learning music again and are going to go out one more time at the Barnum Festival. What a rush.

Regards,

Dave

My rookie year in '82, Spirit's Dues were $450 and we had to sell some specific amount of that $#@% giftwrap. (When we were cleaning out my parents house after my Dad died getting ready to sell it, I found several packs of that stuff shoved up in the attic)

I know the dues went up in succeeding years, but I worked off part of my dues every year after that either working at the bingo hall, or helping teach the corps my ageout year. I honestly don't remember what the dues were by the time I finished in '86. It seems like I remember my girlfriend paying $600 something by '87 and I think a rookies dues may have been as high as $750 by then??? After two decades, it all runs together......

Later, AA

Even though I didn't march, I was trying to get into the Guardsmen for the '81 season and I seem to recall their dues being $700 or so. I don't remember if that included tour fees or not.

Um, no. It was $120, according to the receipt I recently found. Equipment fee: $25; Travel/food fee: $330.

God, I'm such a packrat....

For the Emerald Knights, our dues were $125 for the '87 and '88 seasons. They went up to $225 in '89.

Even though I didn't march, I was trying to get into the Guardsmen for the '81 season and I seem to recall their dues being $700 or so.  I don't remember if that included tour fees or not.

Um, no. It was $120, according to the receipt I recently found. Equipment fee: $25; Travel/food fee: $330.

God, I'm such a packrat....

Sorry, I guess I was quoting the total cost to march then.....all I remember was that I had $800 in my savings account which would have more than covered all the costs involved. All I needed was a cooperative parent to let me join.