With All The New Things DCI is Doing....

Portable generators? then they'll have to turn the amps up to drowned the generator noise out. LOL

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the new things that DCI is doing nowadys, how about if a corps came out

and played a concert number?

You know the old saying "What's Old Is New Again"

Or better yet.. What if a current top 12 corps came out and did an old style show,

you know opener, drum solo, into concert, concert, color present and closer.

Something new?? or just suicide??

Give me you opinion, it's just a discussion piece. Nobody that I know is doing it

so don't think I trying to put feelers out to get you reaction.

Discuss it amongst youselves. :huh::bleah:

On the whole, concert was my LEAST favorite part of a show.

For me the most fun was movement and playing. I found most concerts of my era quite boring.

Mike, marched 64-72

I forgot one thing, what the heck are they going to do with all the extension cords that will be on the field for the amplifiers and where the #### are they going to plug in to?

They don't have outlets on the sidelines...do they?????????? :lolhit:

Many HS bands out there have done a good job using amps powered by car batteries. ( Just because I think they did a good job doesn't mean I support the use of amps )

I can go either way on a concert formation......but that idea of the tick system being re-instated on some level is pretty appealing. If that were in place today I don't think you would be seeing scores of 99 any more.

And while we're at it, I still dislike warm-ups on the field and all the random walking around on the field in front of the audience while the corps sets up.

Just my opinion....and even though it sounds like it, I'm not advocating a return to the "military model" of drum corps, even though I personally liked that and it was what originally attracted me to drum corps over band.

It's a different world now from back then in that regard as well.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Not to be a sh_t disturber but wouldn't they save even more time if they could find an easier way to get the pit on the field faster.

Maybe by marching them again????

Why were shows shortened in the first place?? Being not around drum corps for a

while I'm a lot out of the loop in that respect.  Why have concerts again? Were they not put in so the corps could show off their more talented members and just have a good time without having to worry about trying to hit that high note while marching at full speed. Why not bring it back with the prevision that the corps could have some movement in that time as well.

Hey DCI, WHY NOT.  :yeah!:

...because the DCI-Bando types think that constant movement is more entertaining, frankly I dont think they ever bothered to ask an audience......you gotta remember these are the same freaks that think playing music nobodys ever heard of before is good, too...

Bill

Who died and made you God of all that is music? There's so much music out there, why should corps feel restricted. I'm saying to do all out esoteric stuff, but come on.

When corps play music people know, people know when it's played or arranged poorly...with the esoteric, obscure programming some corps put out today, one never knows if it was actually performed well.

Performed well, performed like garbage. Why not just sit back and enjoy it, or at LEAST appreciate it!! I personally don't want to hear Bolero, Malaguena and other drum corps "standards" for a very long time. I'm just happy with some of the "esoteric" shows. There's still plenty of music corps haven't gone into yet, and it would be a shame if they kept digressing because some people are too stuck in their own ways to be able to appreciate good music.

Never understood why they did away with it. It was a great showcase for musicianship.

The "concert" was really a device to avoid ticks. Corps were ticked for the first 11 1/2 minutes of the show where a minimum 8 1/2 had to be in motion. So corps stood still for as close to 3 minutes as possible. Stop time was recorded by the T&P judge and any single individual standing still counted as stop time, thus corps either marched or stood at attention. The concert was employed to minimize marching ticks and of course, make a musical feature. With the end of execution and penalities, the concert faded away.

Today corps do stand and play, but in smaller chunks. Usually the big impacts in the ballad are the major non-motion moments. With more emphasis on content/demand/difficulty, corps tend to move more and mostly stop within segements (snare, soprano) to feature sections rather than the entire ensemble.

If you watch closely, you can see some corps make great use of "park and blow" to minimize movement demand where musical challenges are high.

Edited by Jeff

Concert and 0 to 0 endzone and exits are back with Preston Scout House Alumni. The crowd loves it. The show this year will start with an away from the crowd at the 0 yard line with a melodic rendition of The Way We Were (for think about what we were then) with a more than 180 degrees turn to the crowd to our Waterloo Fanfare. Concert is a beautiful rendition of Rhapsody in Blue, Oh What a Beautiful Morning, followed by Surrey With a Fringe on Top and a powerful and bouncing Oklahoma. We featured 95 members at the GAS reunion a couple weeks ago in Hamilton including 53 horns. (The guy at the NY Skliners Alumni table - I love my red shirt). I'm a snare drummer and hubby plays 1st sop. Both of us ex Etobicoke Crusaders. This is our 3rd year back at the drum corps groove. Feel like kids again and having the time of our life with a wonderful bunch of people. See you in Scranton.

Hugs.