1979 North Star

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I minored in Bostonian in college B) Naa,, actually I'm from Mass and it comes as second nature, Like being a fan of the SOX :)

I minored in Bostonian in college B)  Naa,, actually I'm from Mass and it comes as second nature, Like being a fan of the SOX :)

I grew up North of Boston (yes, there is North of Boston) and have lived in Virginia for 16 years now. I am proud to say I can pronounce the letter "R." Words like beer, door and store are once again one syllable words. The only time it (the accent) slips out is if I've had a few beeers or if I'm around other Bostonians.

I miss it sometimes. But, it is nice to be able to golf well into November.

GO SOX!!!

I minored in Bostonian in college B)  Naa,, actually I'm from Mass and it comes as second nature, Like being a fan of the SOX :)

I grew up North of Boston (yes, there is North of Boston) and have lived in Virginia for 16 years now. I am proud to say I can pronounce the letter "R." Words like beer, door and store are once again one syllable words. The only time it (the accent) slips out is if I've had a few beeers or if I'm around other Bostonians.

I miss it sometimes. But, it is nice to be able to golf well into November.

GO SOX!!!

I love the Bostonian accent! It's so unique and unlike any other accent!

BTW, I also live in VA...so I know what ya mean about our weather in Nov. :P

Also had to chance to watch "Gold" practice a few weekends ago in my backyard. :whip:

Also had to chance to watch "Gold" practice a few weekends ago in my backyard. 

Yeah?

I was the guy walking around the 35 yard line lost beyond all hope.

If you you're not marching with anyone this year and thinking about marching, please consider us. We could use a few more folks. These are some of the nicest people I've worked with. The staff is great and the members are pretty cool.

I believe we will do well this year and have a lot of fun.

....so I fail to see why you were trying so hard to catch North Star when you had your hands full with other corps who consistantly beat you.

..they were just one of the corps that beat us the previous year and we were trying to catch.... whether we beat them in finals didn't matter as long we beat them along the way.

... But we did move up 5 spots so some of those corps were premanantly taken off the list on Aug. 18th, 1979.

Again, just a motivator.

whether we beat them in finals didn't matter as long we beat them along the way.

... But we did move up 5 spots so some of those corps were premanantly taken off the list on Aug. 18th, 1979.

Again, just a motivator.

Nope....North Star was 9th and you guys were 11th.....you didn't "beat them along the way." As far as your last statement, that's has been something argued for many years and I supposed will be for many years to come. I truly believe my corps should have been in finals that night, but too many factors kept us out. But that's OK, I think we proved something the very next year. :whip:

whether we beat them in finals didn't matter as long we beat them along the way.

Again, just a motivator.

Nope....North Star was 9th and you guys were 11th.....you didn't "beat them along the way."

Maybe I'm misreading this, but I don't see where Mitch said Cavies beat North Star that year. He just said they were one of the corps they were trying to catch along the way. And, as he noted in his earlier reply, they never did. Not that year, anyway.

I understand that 1979 is a sore spot for anyone who marched Crossmen. But it seems like you're interpreting Mitch's comments as a dig against Crossmen, and I don't think that's what he meant. In fact, I think if you ask just about anyone from any corps that year, they'll say they thought Crossmen should've been in finals that year, and they were robbed of a finals spot which was justifiably theirs. (The Cavies I knew who marched in '79 certainly believed this, and said it.) But weird stuff happens sometimes, and that's just one of those years. It doesn't, however, take away from any of the corps who did make finals.

Cavies were plenty hurt when they didn't make finals in '78. I know, because I had friends who marched Cavies all three years I marched Oakland. As Mitch explains, one of the motivating tools they were using to get back into finals was to try to beat any of the corps who placed ahead of them the previous year. (I suspect that realistically, there was probably a ceiling to that goal . . . say, any corps that placed from 15th through 10th.) It may or may not be an effective motivator. We can argue that one till the end of time. But the reality is that competitors do different things to motivate themselves to overtake other competitors. Whether it really works, who knows? But apparently this was one of the things Cavies did in '79.

Edited by byline

Perhaps I was "reading" more into it than I should. Sometimes when topics like this is brought up, you can't help but feel the hurt all over again and take everything in defense.

;)^